1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A sin^2 and cos^2 integrals question

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1
    hi!

1. Is the definite integral over [sin(x)]^2 from 0 to a, is a/2? and also the cosine?

2. Is it because the average of the sin/cos functions is always 1/2?

3. and if so, the integration region doesn't matter because the function is positive?
    I mean, what about integration from -a to a?

4. and from -3a to 0.5a? is it: 0.5*[3.5a]?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, for 1. why do you ask us ? Can't you compute it all by yourself ? The answer is "no", btw. Then you can figure out the aswers to the other questions. And the average of the sin/cos in not always 1/2.

4. Aug 30, 2007 #3
    are you trying to help?

I'm asking because I don't know the answers.

5. Aug 30, 2007 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the simple calculation of those 2 integrals doesn't yield the results you proposed. So do you know anything about integral calculus ? I'm asking because the answer will make me post the solutions to those integrals or not...

6. Aug 30, 2007 #5
    I've just found a formula on the net for those integrals, thnks anyway.

but I remember my teacher said that integral over squared(!) sin/cos is always 1/2 or something.
    Is this correct? if so, for what range?

7. Aug 30, 2007 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope, of course not. The range can be let's say for the cos^2 from 0 to the solution of the equation 2a+sin 2a=2.

8. Aug 30, 2007 #7
    thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?