A small doubt about electric flux

In summary, electric flux is a scalar quantity and can be positive or negative depending on the direction of flow. Negative flux is not necessarily smaller than zero flux, as it is just a different direction of flow. When referring to "higher" or "lower" flux, it is likely referring to the magnitude (absolute value) of the flux. This may cause confusion for non-native English speakers, as "larger" or "smaller" would be a more accurate description.
Joe Da Bro
Hey there...
As far as I know, electric flux is a scalar quantity which means that negative values are smaller than zero. This concept really confuses me since most of the exercises I dealt with suggest that negative flux somehow is larger than zero flux

Example 1
yf_Figure_22_32.jpg

the uniform field is directed to the right, which surface has the lower electric flux?
is it S1 which is negative or S2/S4/S5/S6 ( that's the correct answer according to my book)?

Example 2
https://lh6.ggpht.com/f3KBE_uxMhA2zCSgcxfdIu26-n0OOGrOHNwK7lQxsSYGp__YJLIWuP7uSkZUBVLUFpwJQw=s170
Which surface has the lower electric flux?
is it S2 which is negative or S1 which is zero ( that's the correct answer according to my book) ?

So is the problem with me or with the book itself or what exactly?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The amount of flux passing through a surface is a scalar - not the flux itself.
The flux may be positive or negative depending on which way it flows through the surface.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
The amount of flux passing through a surface is a scalar - not the flux itself.
The flux may be positive or negative depending on which way it flows through the surface.

Isn't the flux itself a dot product? which also means it's scalar too. care to elaborate please?
Thanks for your reply...

A dot product of what with what?
Think of the flux as the amount of flow.

Simon Bridge said:
A dot product of what with what?
Think of the flux as the amount of flow.

the electric field and the vector area

Backtrack - I think I can see a way through for you.
This is just like the component of the velocity vector in the x direction of interest is given by a dot product (##\vec v \cdot \hat i##), which will give a scalar, which may be positive or negative; but a negative speed is no slower than a positive speed. Similarly a negative flux is the same amount of flux as a positive flux, it's just headed into the volume rather than out of it ... and that is an arbitrary choice: it is just as good to define positive in and negative out.

Simon Bridge said:
Backtrack - I think I can see a way through for you.
This is just like the component of the velocity vector in the x direction of interest is given by a dot product (##\vec v \cdot \hat i##), which will give a scalar, which may be positive or negative; but a negative speed is no slower than a positive speed. Similarly a negative flux is the same amount of flux as a positive flux, it's just headed into the volume rather than out of it ... and that is an arbitrary choice: it is just as good to define positive in and negative out.

that's what I wanted .. I am really thankful, just to make sure, negative flux>zero flux in both examples? if so then, all the doubt will vanish.. Thanks again!

I think when your book asks about "higher" or "lower" they are referring to the magnitude (absolute value) of the flux. As a native English speaker, I personally would say "larger" or "smaller", instead, because that implies magnitude. Is this an English-language textbook, or are you trying to translate from some other language? Or maybe the book was written by a non-native English speaker.

What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the area vector of the surface. This can be represented by the equation Φ = E * A * cos(θ), where E is the electric field, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the two vectors.

What is the significance of electric flux?

Electric flux is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their interactions with surfaces. It helps us to understand the strength and direction of electric fields passing through a given surface, and is used in many applications such as capacitance and Gauss's law.

What factors affect the value of electric flux?

The value of electric flux is affected by the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the orientation and size of the surface through which the field is passing. Additionally, the presence of other charges or conductors in the vicinity can also impact the value of electric flux.

How is electric flux related to electric charge?

Electric flux and electric charge are closely related, as electric charge is the source of electric fields and therefore affects the value of electric flux passing through a given surface. The total electric flux passing through a closed surface is proportional to the net electric charge enclosed by that surface, according to Gauss's law.