1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A small doubt about electric flux

1. Dec 7, 2014 #1
    Hey there...
    As far as I know, electric flux is a scalar quantity which means that negative values are smaller than zero. This concept really confuses me since most of the exercises I dealt with suggest that negative flux somehow is larger than zero flux

Example 1
    yf_Figure_22_32.jpg
    the uniform field is directed to the right, which surface has the lower electric flux?
    is it S1 which is negative or S2/S4/S5/S6 ( that's the correct answer according to my book)?

Example 2
    https://lh6.ggpht.com/f3KBE_uxMhA2zCSgcxfdIu26-n0OOGrOHNwK7lQxsSYGp__YJLIWuP7uSkZUBVLUFpwJQw=s170
    Which surface has the lower electric flux?
    is it S2 which is negative or S1 which is zero ( that's the correct answer according to my book) ?

So is the problem with me or with the book itself or what exactly?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    The amount of flux passing through a surface is a scalar - not the flux itself.
    The flux may be positive or negative depending on which way it flows through the surface.

4. Dec 7, 2014 #3
    Isn't the flux itself a dot product? which also means it's scalar too. care to elaborate please?
    Thanks for your reply...

5. Dec 7, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A dot product of what with what?
    Think of the flux as the amount of flow.

6. Dec 7, 2014 #5
    the electric field and the vector area

7. Dec 7, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Backtrack - I think I can see a way through for you.
    This is just like the component of the velocity vector in the x direction of interest is given by a dot product (##\vec v \cdot \hat i##), which will give a scalar, which may be positive or negative; but a negative speed is no slower than a positive speed. Similarly a negative flux is the same amount of flux as a positive flux, it's just headed into the volume rather than out of it ... and that is an arbitrary choice: it is just as good to define positive in and negative out.

8. Dec 7, 2014 #7
    that's what I wanted .. I am really thankful, just to make sure, negative flux>zero flux in both examples? if so then, all the doubt will vanish.. Thanks again!!!

9. Dec 7, 2014 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I think when your book asks about "higher" or "lower" they are referring to the magnitude (absolute value) of the flux. As a native English speaker, I personally would say "larger" or "smaller", instead, because that implies magnitude. Is this an English-language textbook, or are you trying to translate from some other language? Or maybe the book was written by a non-native English speaker.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook