A spring-block system on a frictional plane

In summary, the homework statement is that a block of mass is attached to a spring and is then given a displacement. The forces acting on the block are due to the spring and friction. At the end of each half cycle, the position of the block is determined by x'_{0} and x.
xboy
Maybe I should have posted this question in 'elementary physics' but the question seemed rather difficult to me(although involving elementary concepts) so i am posting it at this forum.Here goes.

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is attached to a spring of spring constant k.the other end of the spring is attached to a wall.The mass rests on a surface with friction coefficient [tex]\mu[/tex].Now the mass is given a displacement [tex]x_{0}[/tex] from its equilibrium position.Calculate x at any subsequent time.

Homework Equations

The forces acting on the block are(taking the equilibrium position as origin)
force due to the spring:
[tex]\\F_{spring} = -kxi\hat \\
[/tex]

[tex]
\\ F_{friction} = \mu mgi\hat \\ \mbox{ when the block is moving in the -i direction}
[/tex]

[tex]
F_{friction} = -\mu mgi\hat \\ \mbox{ when the block is moving in +i direction}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The equations i obtain are
[tex] m\ddot x +kx = \mu mg\ \mbox{when moving towards -i} \\
[/tex]
[tex]
\\ \mbox{and} m\ddot x + kx = -\mu mg\ \mbox{when moving towards +i}
[/tex]
Solving them i get,for the first half cycle:
[tex]
\\x = (x_{0} - \frac{\mu mg}{k})\cos \frac{k}{m}t + \frac{\mu mg}{k}\\
[/tex]
[tex]

\mbox{At the end of the first half cycle,the position of the block is,then } x'_{0} = -x_{o} + 2\frac{\mu mg}{k}
[/tex]
[tex]
\\ \mbox{Now,if i take t= 0 at} x= x'_{0} \ \mbox{ ,i get,from solving the second differential equation}[/tex]
[tex]
\\x = -( x'_{o}+ \frac{\mu mg}{k}) \cos \frac{k}{m}t - \frac{\mu mg}{k}
[/tex]
[tex]
\mbox{At the end of this half-cycle the position is }
[/tex]
[tex]
x_{0} - 4\frac{\mu mg}{k}
[/tex]

So I'm getting the result that for each half cycle the distance traversed goes down by [tex] 2\frac{\mu mg}{k}[/tex].I get the same reult from work-energy theorem.
is my method correct?if yes,is there a more elegant way of doing it?is there at least an elegant way of writing the answer?In my answer I'm putting t=0 at the start of each half-cycle,so i can't boil it down to less than 2 equations.

P.S:this is te first time I'm using latex.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
this looks all right.must've edited it 20 times or so! how does one start a new line in latex here? \\ doesn't seem to work.

Last edited:
thanx mentz,but that doesn't help.
yep,this is different from your usual damped oscillator,which is why I'm finding it difficult(and interesting)!

1. What is a spring-block system on a frictional plane?

A spring-block system on a frictional plane is a physical system that consists of a block attached to a spring, which is placed on a surface with friction. The block can move horizontally along the surface, and the spring exerts a force on the block, causing it to oscillate back and forth.

2. How does friction affect the behavior of a spring-block system?

Friction plays a crucial role in the behavior of a spring-block system. It opposes the motion of the block, causing it to lose energy and dampen the amplitude of its oscillations. Without friction, the block would continue to oscillate indefinitely.

3. What is the equation of motion for a spring-block system on a frictional plane?

The equation of motion for a spring-block system on a frictional plane is given by the second law of motion, F = ma, where F is the net force on the block, m is its mass, and a is its acceleration. The net force in this case is the sum of the force of the spring and the force of friction.

4. How does the mass of the block affect the period of oscillation in a spring-block system?

The mass of the block has a direct relationship with the period of oscillation in a spring-block system. A heavier block will have a longer period of oscillation compared to a lighter block, as it requires more force to move and overcome the frictional force.

5. How can the energy of a spring-block system on a frictional plane be calculated?

The total energy of a spring-block system on a frictional plane can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2kA^2, where k is the spring constant and A is the amplitude of oscillation. The energy is a combination of the potential energy stored in the spring and the kinetic energy of the moving block.