A system of equations that I want to do with a matrix

In summary, the equations have only two unknowns each and can be solved with substitution and elimination.
youngstudent16

Homework Statement

Below are four equations, with the known quantities listed. Solve these equations to obtain an expression for ##T## in terms of known quantities only. Do the same to obtain an expression for ##a##
##T-f=m_1a\hspace{5mm}N-m_1g\cos\theta=0##
##m_2g-T=m_2a \hspace{5mm} f=\mu N##

##m_1,m_2,\mu,g,\theta## Are known quantities

Unknown quantities are ##T,a,N,f##

Homework Equations

Knowing how to solve system of equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt and I'm wondering if I can solve this easier with a matrix.(or if this was correct I have not done these that often)

##N=m_1g\cos\theta##
##f=\mu m_1g\cos\theta##
Now I have two equations and two unknowns
##T-\mu m_1g\cos\theta=m_1a##
##m_2g-T=m_2a##
##T=m_1a+\mu m_1g\cos\theta##
##m_2g-m_1a+\mu m_1g\cos\theta=m_2a##
##m_1\left(-a+\mu g\cos\theta\right)=m_2(a-g)##
##\frac{m_1}{m_2}+g=\frac{a}{\left(-a+\mu g\cos\theta\right)}##
##\frac{m_1}{m_2}+g+1=\frac{a}{\left(\mu g\cos\theta\right)}##
##\left(\mu g\cos\theta\right)\left(\frac{m_1}{m_2}+g+1\right)=a##Now just plug ##a## back in for the first. Is that correct and is there an easier way to do this with a matrix?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
youngstudent16 said:

Homework Statement

Below are four equations, with the known quantities listed. Solve these equations to obtain an expression for ##T## in terms of known quantities only. Do the same to obtain an expression for ##a##

##M_1,M_2,\mu,g,\theta## Are known quantities

Homework Equations

Knowing how to solve system of equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt and I'm wondering if I can solve this easier with a matrix.(or if this was correct I have not done these that often)

##N=m_1g\cos\theta##
##f=\mu m_1g\cos\theta##
Now I have two equations and two unknowns
##T-\mu m_1g\cos\theta=m_1a##
##m_2g-T=m_2a##
##T=m_1a+\mu m_1g\cos\theta##
##m_2g-m_1a+\mu m_1g\cos\theta=m_2a##

You are doing fine right up to that point. The something goes wrong. Why not collect terms with a right there and then solve for a? Everything else in that last equation is a known quantity.

I do not believe using matrices would make this calculation any shorter. Notice that most of the equations have only two of the four unknowns appearing in them. That is a good sign that simple substitution and elimination (what you are doing) is the easiest way. If most of the equations had at least three unknowns, then yeah, I would use the matrix method. That makes it much easier to keep track of what you are doing.

However, if you want to do this problem with a matrix just to get the practice, that seems like a good idea. You can check the answer you get that way with the one you get using substitution.

Likes youngstudent16
youngstudent16 said:

Homework Statement

##M_1,M_2,\mu,g,\theta## Are known quantities

How are ##\ m_1 \ ## and ##\ m_2 \ ## related to ##\ M_1 \ ## and ##\ M_2 \ ## ?

SammyS said:
How are ##\ m_1 \ ## and ##\ m_2 \ ## related to ##\ M_1 \ ## and ##\ M_2 \ ## ?
I'm sorry that was a typo I will fix it

techmologist said:
You are doing fine right up to that point. The something goes wrong. Why not collect terms with a right there and then solve for a? Everything else in that last equation is a known quantity.

I do not believe using matrices would make this calculation any shorter. Notice that most of the equations have only two of the four unknowns appearing in them. That is a good sign that simple substitution and elimination (what you are doing) is the easiest way. If most of the equations had at least three unknowns, then yeah, I would use the matrix method. That makes it much easier to keep track of what you are doing.

However, if you want to do this problem with a matrix just to get the practice, that seems like a good idea. You can check the answer you get that way with the one you get using substitution.

Hmm at that point though I have the issue with
##m_2g+ \mu m_1g \cos\theta=m_2a+m_1a##
When I tried to get rid of either ##m_2## or ##m_1## I had problems
Or would this be ok to do
##m_2g+ \mu m_1g \cos\theta=\left(m_2+m_1\right)(a)##

##\frac{m_2g+ \mu m_1g \cos\theta}{m_2+m_1}=a##?

Thanks for the insight I"m taking my first physics class and this was a warm up problem we had to do and I figure we will see more of these applied to real physics so I wasn't sure if I should be using matrices more since it might be more efficient. I guess I will learn which to use with practice and your hint.

youngstudent16 said:
Hmm at that point though I have the issue with
##m_2g+ \mu m_1g \cos\theta=m_2a+m_1a##
When I tried to get rid of either ##m_2## or ##m_1## I had problems
Or would this be ok to do
##m_2g+ \mu m_1g \cos\theta=\left(m_2+m_1\right)(a)##

##\frac{m_2g+ \mu m_1g \cos\theta}{m_2+m_1}=a##?

Thanks for the insight I"m taking my first physics class and this was a warm up problem we had to do and I figure we will see more of these applied to real physics so I wasn't sure if I should be using matrices more since it might be more efficient. I guess I will learn which to use with practice and your hint.
Yes, this is correct. But, it seems you weren't sure. If so, you need to review algebra skills.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Yes, this is correct. But, it seems you weren't sure. If so, you need to review algebra skills.

Chet
I feel sure now looking over it in the moment I felt unsure. I have practiced a few other system of equations problems now and feel more adjusted to it. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm sure this year I'll be asking more questions as the physics class picks up.

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that are related to each other and have a common set of variables. It represents a situation where multiple unknown quantities need to be solved for simultaneously.

2. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers arranged in rows and columns. It is used to organize and manipulate data and can be used to represent a system of equations.

3. How can a matrix be used to solve a system of equations?

A matrix can be used to solve a system of equations by using a method called Gaussian elimination. This involves transforming the matrix through a series of row operations until it is in a reduced row echelon form, which then allows for the solutions to be easily determined.

4. What are the advantages of using a matrix to solve a system of equations?

Using a matrix to solve a system of equations can be advantageous because it allows for the efficient handling of a large number of equations and variables. It also provides a systematic and organized approach to solving complex systems of equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using a matrix to solve a system of equations?

Yes, there are limitations to using a matrix to solve a system of equations. It can only be used for linear equations, meaning that all variables are raised to the first power. It also requires knowledge and understanding of matrix operations and may not always provide unique solutions to the system of equations.