1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A system of two lenses

1. Oct 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object at a distance a1 in front of a convex lens with the focal length f1 is imaged at a distance b1. A second lens at the distance d from the first lens with the focal length f2 is then imaging this Image with the image distance b2.

a) Give the image distance b1 as a function of f1 and a1, as well as the image distance b2 as function of d, a1, f1 and f2.

b) What is the focal length of a System of two lenses which distance d approaches zero?

c) Which focal length must the second lens in b) have to compensate the action of the first lens? How is such a lens called?

2. Relevant equations
    Lens equations, fs=(f1*f2)/(f1+f2).

3. The attempt at a solution
    For b) I have found the equation given above. How can I figure out c)? I think it is an afocal system, is that correct? For that, the focal length must be f2=d-f1?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2
    For clarification, here is a picture of the system I am asking about.

Attached Files:

4. Oct 15, 2011 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I interpret the question in part (c) correctly, the image formed by lens #2 must be located at the original object. The usual equation relating object, image, and focal length can be used to work out what f2 must be to achieve this.

I'm not sure what the name is for such a lens, sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook