Calculating Torque: Window Washer Question

• Thread starter kitty9035
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the tension in the rope nearest the 747 N window washer is 681.27 N when he stands 1 m from one end of the 3.47 m long scaffold. The sum of torques is equal to zero and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. The scaffold exerts its torque from the center of its mass. The correct setup for the problem is 0 + 185N(sin-90)(-1.735m) + 747N(sin-90)(-2.735) - 3.47T = 0. However, this setup is incorrect as it would mean all the torques would rotate the scaffold in the same direction.
kitty9035

Homework Statement

A window washer is standing on a scaffold supported by a vertical rope at each end. The scaffold weighs 185 N and is 3.47 m long. What is the tension in the rope nearest the 747 N window washer when he stands 1 m from one end?

Homework Equations

sum of torques = zero
acceleration of gravity equals 9.8 m/s2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was a simple problem but I get the answer wrong. My answer is 681.27 N. Is that right? If not how do i get the right answer??:eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you need to do is to find an appropriate axis and put down all the torque effecting that point both clockwise and counterclockwise. Remember that the scaffold exerts its from the center of its mass.

I thought I did that. Is this the right set up?
0+185N(sin-90)(-1.735m) + 747N(sin-90)(-2.735)-3.47T=0

kitty9035 said:
I thought I did that. Is this the right set up?
0+185N(sin-90)(-1.735m) + 747N(sin-90)(-2.735)-3.47T=0
Here is your problem. Rewriting what you have written we have;

[tex] {\color{red}-}(185\times1.735){\color{red}-}(747\times2.735){\color{red}-}(3.47\times T)=0[/tex]

This would mean that all the torques would tend to rotate the scaffold in the same direction, is the really what is happening?

1. How do you calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to multiply the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

2. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is newton-meters (N*m) in the metric system and foot-pounds (ft*lb) in the imperial system.

3. How does torque relate to rotational motion?

Torque is the measure of the turning or twisting force applied to an object. It is directly proportional to the angular acceleration and inversely proportional to the moment of inertia, which determines the object's resistance to rotational motion.

4. How does the angle of application affect torque?

The angle of application affects torque by changing the direction of the force applied to an object. A force applied at a perpendicular angle to the pivot point will have the maximum torque, while a force applied at an angle will have a reduced torque.

5. How can torque be increased?

Torque can be increased by increasing the force applied or by increasing the distance from the pivot point. This means using a longer lever arm or applying a greater force to the object. Additionally, changing the angle of application to be more perpendicular can also increase torque.