Solving Tough Differential Equations with Parameters: A Step-by-Step Approach

• Thread starter juice34
  • Start date
In summary, the equations given are solved by first finding the relationship between r and tao, which is r*tao= constant. Then, using this relationship and the second equation, the value for tao can be expressed in terms of r and other parameters. Finally, by taking the derivative and integrating, the solution for v can be found.
juice34
eq#1) -1/r(d/dr)(r*tao)=0
eq#2)tao=m(-dv/dr)^n (n is a parameter)

for v=0 at r=R and v=V and r=kR (k and V are parameters)

I have no idea how to start this or what is the correct way to start.

I initially integrated tao to get dtao/dr=m(-dv/dr)^n-1, but this just complicates things further with the n-1. Next i plugged in tao into the first equation and then used the product rule so -1/r(d/dr)(r*m(-dv/dr)^n)=0 once again i get the n-1 factor. Then i tried taking the derivative of #1 with respect to r to yield -(1*tao)/r=0. Please could someone please guide me in the right steps!

Physics news on Phys.org
So your equations are:
[tex]-\frac{1}{r}\frac{dr\tau}{dr}= 0[/tex]
and
[tex]\tau= m\left(\frac{dv}{dr}\right)^n[/tex] ?

Well, multiplying by -r, the first equation is just [tex]\frac{d r\tau}{dr}= 0[/tex] so that [itex]r\tau[/itex]= constant and
[tex]\tau= \frac{C}{r}[/tex]
Then the second equation becomes
[tex]\frac{C}{r}= m\left(\frac{dv}{dr}\right)^n[/tex]
so
[tex]\left(\frac{dv}{dr}\right)^n= \frac{C}{mr}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dv}{dr}= \frac{C^{1/n}}{m^{1/n}r^{1/n}}[/tex]
[tex] dv= \left(\frac{C}{m}\right)^{1/n} r^{-1/n}dr[/tex]
and integrate.

Thank you Hallsofivey!:cool:

Related to Solving Tough Differential Equations with Parameters: A Step-by-Step Approach

What are differential equations with parameters?

Differential equations with parameters are mathematical equations that involve an unknown function and one or more parameters. These parameters are constants that can affect the behavior of the solution to the equation.

Why are differential equations with parameters considered tough to solve?

Differential equations with parameters are considered tough to solve because the presence of parameters makes the equations more complicated and difficult to manipulate. This means that traditional methods for solving differential equations may not work and a more specialized approach is needed.

What is the step-by-step approach for solving tough differential equations with parameters?

The step-by-step approach for solving tough differential equations with parameters involves identifying the parameters in the equation, separating the variables, integrating both sides of the equation, and then solving for the constant of integration. This process may need to be repeated multiple times depending on the complexity of the equation.

What are some common techniques used to solve tough differential equations with parameters?

Some common techniques used to solve tough differential equations with parameters include substitution, separation of variables, and the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods require a good understanding of calculus and algebra to apply successfully.

Why is it important to be able to solve tough differential equations with parameters?

Solving tough differential equations with parameters is important because they are used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. Being able to solve these equations allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of these systems, which is crucial for making advancements in various fields of science and engineering.