Is A Universe w/o Mass Possible? Exploring Time & Matter

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of time and its existence without the presence of matter. The possibility of a universe with only space and time but no mass is discussed, with the conclusion that it is theoretically possible in the context of relativity. The conversation also touches upon the difference between philosophical and scientific reasoning and the influence of popular media on people's understanding of complex concepts. Ultimately, it is agreed that time is an objective fact and not an illusion, despite some beliefs to the contrary.
alan123hk
Is it possible to have a universe with only space and time but no mass ?

I ask this question because a friend told me that time is an illusion. In fact, time does not exist. Because of the existence of matter, time can be felt through the movement of matter. If matter does not exist, time does not exist, I guess he means matter is the most basic existence.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
alan123hk said:
Is it possible to have a universe with only space and time but no mass ?
In the context of relativity, yes: flat Minkowski spacetime, which has space and time but no matter or energy anywhere, is a valid solution of the Einstein Field Equation.

alan123hk said:
I ask this question because a friend told me that time is an illusion. In fact, time does not exist. Because of the existence of matter, time can be felt through the movement of matter. If matter does not exist, time does not exist.
You should ask your friend what theory of physics he is using to justify his claim. I suspect his response will be a deer in the headlights look.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and alan123hk
alan123hk said:
time is an illusion
I'll get back to you on that later.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes TSny, dsaun777, dextercioby and 5 others
PeterDonis said:
In the context of relativity, yes: flat Minkowski spacetime, which has space and time but no matter or energy anywhere, is a valid solution of the Einstein Field Equation.
Thanks for your reply and valuable information.
My friend is a liberal arts student. He likes to study philosophy and religion, but knows nothing about science. Even though I know a little about the basics of science, I still don't know how to respond to him.

• Sad
Likes PeroK
alan123hk said:
My friend is a liberal arts student. He likes to study philosophy and religion, but knows nothing about science.
Then why does he think his claims about science have any chance of being right?

alan123hk said:
Even though I know a little about the basics of science, I still don't know how to respond to him.
Ask him why he thinks he can even have an opinion about a scientific claim when he knows nothing about science. Would he just sit there calmly, not knowing how to respond, if you expressed an opinion that he knew was wrong about philosophy or religion? And if you said you didn't know anything about philosophy or religion, would he be stumped about how to explain to you that maybe you should learn something about them first before expressing opinions?

Likes vanhees71
What is claimed without evidence can be dismissed with evidence.

But really, time can be detected via transmission of EMR. No matter needed.

Ask your friend if he'd like to amend his assertion.

Likes Dale
PeterDonis said:
Then why does he think his claims about science have any chance of being right?
DaveC426913 said:
Time can be felt through emission and arruval of EMR. No matter needed.
Ask your friend what he thinks.
I understand.
My own feeling is that this is very common now, just like youtube has many such channels, they mainly discuss topics such as religion, prehistoric civilization, supernatural phenomena and some unproven mysteries, in these channels, they often use their own way of thinking to interpret time, space, and matter. Although most of their explanations seem to have no basis in physics, they still fascinate the audience. Many of these audiences don't know much about physics, they just understand and agree with intuition and simple logic. This friend of mine is a fan of these YouTube channels.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
alan123hk said:
I ask this question because a friend told me that time is an illusion. In fact, time does not exist. Because of the existence of matter, time can be felt through the movement of matter. If matter does not exist, time does not exist, I guess he means matter is the most basic existence.
The devices that we use to measure time are indeed made of matter. So the question is whether or not time would exist if we had no way of measuring it.

That's a philosophical question, not physics.

The relevant philosophical question, as I see it, is whether or not time is a human invention. Time is not an illusion, and does indeed exist.

Likes dextercioby, vanhees71 and alan123hk
Mister T said:
The devices that we use to measure time are indeed made of matter. So the question is whether or not time would exist if we had no way of measuring it.
Being unable to measure it doesn't mean it doesn't occur.

Any photon that travels any distance will demonstrate the passage of time.

(We have to grant, in this thought experiment, that we have some way of passively peering into this universe-of-no-matter to see what's happening - without being considered part of the universe - otherwise it's an entirely moot discussion.)

The existence of time is an objective fact, of course it is not an illusion, I am just describing what my friend said truthfully, of course I do not agree, and immediately cited many examples to refute him. As I mentioned before My friend has no concept of physics at all.

The problem is that one of the arguments he mentions confuses me a bit. He said that time is a concept created by measuring the speed of motion of objects with mass. If mass does not exist, time will not exist. That's why I'm asking this question - Is it possible to have a universe with only space and time but no mass ?

At that time, I felt that a universe without matter and energy, but only time and space was unimaginable. I need a more in-depth answer based on physics, so I'd like to thank post 2 for the reply, which is what I was looking for.

Quote "In the context of relativity, yes: flat Minkowski spacetime, which has space and time but no matter or energy anywhere, is a valid solution of the Einstein Field Equation."

alan123hk said:
He said that time is a concept created by measuring the speed of motion of objects with mass.
Again, you should ask him what theory of physics he is using to justify this claim. I've already described my expected response.

alan123hk said:
I'd like to thank post 2 for the reply, which is what I was looking for.
Note, btw, that in that post I assumed that "mass" meant "any form of matter or radiation", i.e., that it would include "massless" things like light. (The justification for this usage is that the source of gravity in GR is the stress-energy tensor, which includes both matter and radiation.) But other posters have assumed that "mass" only meant "matter", i.e., that light is not "mass", and then explained how the passage of time can be shown by the behavior of light even if no matter is present.

Both meanings of the term "mass" can be found in the physics literature, so another question you could ask your friend if you wanted to get a deer in the headlights look would be exactly what he means by "mass"--does light count as "mass" or not?

Likes alan123hk
PeterDonis said:
Again, you should ask him what theory of physics he is using to justify this claim. I've already described my expected response.
I suspect, if he's on-the-ball, his response will be to turn the onus around, by asking ' if not for the motion of mass, how could you tell if time was passing?'

So, we might as well anticipate that and supply him with some examples.

• Informative
Likes alan123hk
DaveC426913 said:
So, we might as well anticipate that and supply him with some examples.
I did try to learn some concepts of special relativity myself, but I admit I don't understand general relativity at all. But it suddenly occurred to me that there is a simple explanation, please correct me if it is incorrect.

Just like an empty room, it is a vacuum and there is no matter and light in it, but the absence of matter and light in this room does not mean that there is no time. If you want to measure the passage of time in this room, you have to inject some mass or matter into it before you can measure speed and time.

If there is no time in this room, then after injecting mass, time should not be produced, because the existence of time is not created by matter.

alan123hk said:
If you want to measure the passage of time in this room, you have to inject some mass or matter into it before you can measure speed and time.

If there is no time in this room, then after injecting mass, time should not be produced, because the existence of time is not created by matter.
Your reasoning rests on an implicit premise that injecting mass or matter does not change any of the physical characteristics of the room.

In relativity, the technical concept corresponding to this is a "test object"--basically an object that you can use to make measurements and find out things about the spacetime geometry, but which does not itself affect the spacetime geometry. For example, if the "universe" you want to measure is flat Minkowski spacetime, and you inject some test objects into it to observe what happens to them (and thereby show, for example, that time does exist in this universe), the test objects don't change the fact that it is flat Minkowski spacetime.

In our real universe, however, no object, strictly speaking, is an exact test object. Every object has some nonzero stress-energy and therefore makes some nonzero contribution to the spacetime geometry. So it is impossible to measure anything about an empty "room" by injecting some matter or radiation into it, without changing the spacetime geometry of the room by some amount. The best we can do is to make that amount too small for our measurements to detect in practical cases.

And that is sufficient to ground your conclusion that, if you detect the presence of time in the "room", it was there before you injected the matter into it to measure it, because "the presence of time" is an all or nothing thing: in technical language, either timelike curves exist in the spacetime geometry, or they don't. You can't take a manifold that doesn't have any timelike curves at all, and make it into a manifold that does by injecting a small amount of matter into it.

Likes alan123hk
It's a good question. The field equations of General Relativity allow an universe which is completely empty of matter and energy (these solutions can be flat, like Minkowski spacetime, or curved, like the (anti) de Sitter solutions). Spacetime is in this sense fundamental. To me, this always sounded a bit strange. There are multiple possibilities:

* GR is right in saying classical spacetime is fundamental

or

* GR is wrong, and spacetime is not fundamental

This last possibility breaks down into other possibilities:

* Classical time is not fundamental. E.g. Julian Barbour holds that time is an emergent property; his views on space are not known to me. That time is emergent sounds not that strange; what's the meaning of time in an otherwise energy/matterless universe? In this view it seems more natural that in an empty universe the spacetime degenerates to space. Interestingly, such a degeneration can also be used to describe the non-relativistic limit of General Relativity, because there space and time effectively decouple.

* Classical space is not fundamental. This is suggested by the "it from bit" -program, in which the holographic correspondence is used to argue that space emerges from entangled "atoms of space".

The possibility that OR space, OR time are not fundamental then begs the question why they can be so nicely united in General Relativity to this entity "spacetime".

Likes vanhees71
alan123hk said:
I understand.
My own feeling is that this is very common now, just like youtube has many such channels, they mainly discuss topics such as religion, prehistoric civilization, supernatural phenomena and some unproven mysteries, in these channels, they often use their own way of thinking to interpret time, space, and matter. Although most of their explanations seem to have no basis in physics, they still fascinate the audience. Many of these audiences don't know much about physics, they just understand and agree with intuition and simple logic. This friend of mine is a fan of these YouTube channels.
Speaking of unproven supernatural phenomena and mysteries what happened to the skepticism and debunking section here?

dsaun777 said:
Speaking of unproven supernatural phenomena and mysteries what happened to the skepticism and debunking section here?
PF has refined their content areas to concentrate on known physics as taught in schools. Supernatural and chronological phenomena fall outside that purview.

You'll notice a correlative paucity of cranks and woo-ologists here now.

DaveC426913 said:
PF has refined their content areas to concentrate on known physics as taught in schools. Supernatural and chronological phenomena fall outside that purview.

You'll notice a correlative paucity of cranks and woo-ologists here now.
Yes, I am with you guys. But I found some of those posts entertaining. At the very least it gave smart people a means to demonstrate their debunking skills. It's like witnessing a proof being demonstrated. Our society needs debunking and skepticism now more than ever. I have never seen the world so riddled with unchecked "facts."

dsaun777 said:
Yes, I am with you guys. But I found some of those posts entertaining. At the very least it gave smart people a means to demonstrate their debunking skills. It's like witnessing a proof being demonstrated. Our society needs debunking and skepticism now more than ever. I have never seen the world so riddled with unchecked "facts."
Then I welcome you to sciforums.com, where wooology is alive and well and in need of reinforcements. There's a thread about UFOs that runs 7800 posts over 5 years.

dsaun777 said:
I have never seen the world so riddled with unchecked "facts."
Yes, I agree, BUT ... in almost all such cases, the proponent of such "facts" has no interest in and will not listen to, any logical explanation of why they are not actually facts, so counter factual rebuttal is a waste of time.

Likes dsaun777
alan123hk said:
Although most of their explanations seem to have no basis in physics, they still fascinate the audience. Many of these audiences don't know much about physics, they just understand and agree with intuition and simple logic.
True. But keep in mind they are not thinking about the physics as deeply as you are. They simply lack the background to do so.

My $.02. I wouldn't necessarily ask the friend in question what theory of physics he was using, but rather if he was using a theory of physics, or whether he was talking philosophy. I'd rather guess the later, but it's hard to say.

If he is talking philosophy , I have two thoughts. One is to ask for some references, i.e. if he's quoting some particular philosopher. I know fairly little about philosophy except for some casual reading of the philosophy of science, so I wouldn't know.

Another thing you might try is to ask your friend if there are any particular experimental results that led him to believe time was an illusion. That might clarify what he's trying to say. Asking for experimental results is part of the philosophy of science that I mentioned, though I've forgotten the author or the exact wording of what they wrote.

pervect said:
I wouldn't necessarily ask the friend in question what theory of physics he was using, but rather if he was using a theory of physics, or whether he was talking philosophy. I'd rather guess the later
When I said I expected the friend's response to the "what theory of physics" question to be a deer in the headlights look, this is basically what I meant. I suspect the friend never even considered the idea of looking at what theories of physics say in order to answer the question.

I am not sure of the OP is still with us, but if they are, I'd like to add a bit to my remarks about the physical meanings of time if he is. Basically, there are at least three common and slightly different ideas that are often not distinguished between that are related to time. The first idea is called "proper time" by physicisits, and it is the sort of time measured by a clock. This is what people are talking about when they say "time is what you measure with a clock". I have been unable to track down the exact soure of this quote, however.

The second concept of time is coordinate time, which is based on the idea of assigning four labels to an event - three to describe it's location, and one to describe time. I wouldn't describe coordinate time as being illlusion, per se, but it's not directly physical. It's like a map. A map is not the real territory, it's a representation of the territory. But I wouldn't generally call a map an "illusion", per se.

The third concept closely related to time is the idea of causality, of cause and effect. As I was trying, unsucsessfully, to find the origin of the remark "Time is what you measure with a clock", I stumbled across the following quote attributed to Einstein. (I don't have the original source, just that it was attributed to Einstein).

Einstein said:
People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.

I'm not sure I would have put things in quite the way Einstien did, but I think this may be the origin of the meme the OP was discussing.

I tend to interpret Einstein's remarks as a statement that causality in special relativity works a bit differently than it does in classical mechanics, and possibly as a statement about the much-debated philosophy of the "block universe".

But I'm sure there is room for a lot of different opinions and discussion on the mater, however it's more a matter of history and philosophy than physics.

Please don't blame my friend too much. As I have already said, my friend does not even have the most basic concepts of physics, nor has he formally studied philosophy. In fact, I think there are many such people in this world. Their emotional intelligence is well developed, and they like literature, art and music, but their logical reasoning ability is relatively weak. Different people in this world have different hobbies and areas of expertise, although there are also people who are good at all areas.

For those who have no interest and talent in science, they will also be curious about this universe and have many questions, such as how the universe was born, what is time and space, whether there is reincarnation, etc. Since they are not interested or gifted at physics, they do not seek answers in this way. So they are sometimes influenced by a large number of these channels on youtube, and while these youtube channels send messages that often have no scientific basis or even violate scientific principles, unfortunately to them often seem very convincing and reasonable .

But because my friend often discusses problems with me, he may be influenced by me, so sometimes he will ask some difficult questions. He said that since time is the measure of the movement of matter or energy from one point in space to another, time is illusory and and cannot be seen directly with the naked eye. Time doesn't exist when matter doesn't exist.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by his question, so I'm asking on this forum if it's possible to have a universe without mass and energy, just time and space, from the perspective of general relativity.

This true story is as simple as that.

• Love
Likes Bandersnatch
alan123hk said:
I'm asking on this forum if it's possible to have a universe without mass and energy, just time and space, from the perspective of general relativity.
Asked and answered.

Thread closed.

1. What is the current scientific understanding of the role of mass in the universe?

The current scientific understanding is that mass is a fundamental property of matter and plays a crucial role in the structure and behavior of the universe. Mass is responsible for the force of gravity, which governs the motion of celestial bodies and holds galaxies together. Additionally, mass is a key component in the formation of stars and planets, and is necessary for the existence of life as we know it.

2. Is it possible for the universe to exist without mass?

While it is currently not possible to definitively answer this question, most scientists would say that a universe without mass is highly unlikely. As mentioned earlier, mass is a fundamental property of matter and plays a crucial role in the structure and behavior of the universe. Without mass, it is difficult to imagine how the universe could have formed or how it would continue to function.

3. What would a universe without mass look like?

It is difficult to accurately speculate on what a universe without mass would look like, as our understanding of the universe is based on the existence of mass and its interactions with other fundamental forces. However, it is safe to say that a universe without mass would likely be vastly different from the one we currently observe, with potentially different laws of physics and very different structures and behaviors.

4. Could time exist without mass?

Time and mass are intricately linked in the theory of relativity, which states that time is relative and can be affected by the presence of mass. Therefore, it is difficult to imagine a universe without mass also having a concept of time. However, some theories suggest that time could exist independently of mass, but this is still a topic of ongoing scientific debate and research.

5. How do scientists study the possibility of a universe without mass?

Scientists study the possibility of a universe without mass through theoretical models and simulations. These models use mathematical equations and computer simulations to explore the behavior of the universe under different conditions, including the absence of mass. However, without concrete evidence or observations, it is currently not possible to definitively study a universe without mass.