How Do Lumens, Lux, and Candela Differ in Measuring Light?

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the candela is the unit of luminous intensity, the lumen is the unit of luminous flux, and the lux is the unit of illumination. The relationship between these units can be determined through equations involving radiant flux, luminous efficiency, and area.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some confusion regarding units. My landlady (like most people) wants to save money on power consumption, so she has me installing Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs(CFLs), which are supposed to save energy. On the package, it said that a 15W CFL is just as good as a 60W incandescent bulb, because they both give off ~800lumens. I couldn't understand that. The lumen is one of the three units whose meanings I don't remember:

candela

lumen

lux

Also,I found out that they measure the physical quantities luminous flux, illuminance, and intesity, but I don't know which measures which, and what the defn's of these are. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
The candela is the SI unit of luminous intensity and is defined as the luminous intensity in a given direction of a source that emits monochromatic radiation of 540 x 1012 Hz and has a radiant intensity (in the given direction) of 1/683 watt/steradian.

The lumen is the SI unit of luminous flux and is defined as the intensity (in candelas) of a point source in a cone of 1 steradian. Luminous flux can be found (for monochromatic radiation)by:

[tex]\Phi_v = K_m\Phi_eV(\lambda)[/tex]

Where Φe is the radiant flux Km is a constantr relaing the two units of flux and V(λ) is the luminous efficency for λ

The lux is the SI unit of illumination and is defined as one lumen over an area of 1 m2

It can be found on a surface of area dS from the following equation:

[tex]\Phi_v = \int E_v dS[/tex]

Thank you for those precise definitions.

1. What is the purpose of "A Very Simple Question About Units"?

The purpose of "A Very Simple Question About Units" is to provide a clear understanding of the concept of units and their importance in scientific measurements and calculations. It aims to help individuals develop a strong foundation in unit conversions and their role in scientific research and experimentation.

2. Why is it important to use units in scientific measurements and calculations?

Units are important in scientific measurements and calculations because they provide a standard and consistent way of expressing quantities. They allow for accurate and precise communication of data and results, and help to ensure that experiments and research are replicable and verifiable.

3. What are the different types of units used in science?

The two main types of units used in science are base units and derived units. Base units are fundamental units of measurement, such as length, mass, time, and temperature. Derived units are combinations of base units, such as speed (meters per second) or volume (cubic meters).

4. How do you convert between different units?

To convert between different units, you can use conversion factors or conversion equations. Conversion factors are ratios that are used to convert from one unit to another, while conversion equations involve simple mathematical calculations to convert from one unit to another. It is important to pay attention to the units when converting and to cancel out the appropriate units to ensure accuracy.

5. Why is it important to use the correct units in scientific research?

Using the correct units in scientific research is crucial because it ensures that the data and results are accurate and meaningful. Incorrect units can lead to errors in calculations and misinterpretation of data, which can ultimately affect the validity and reliability of the research. Additionally, using the correct units allows for easier comparison and understanding of results among different studies and researchers.