A weight supported by two ropes

• Thread starter chudd88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary: Just a simple mistake can throw off the whole answer. In summary, the conversation discusses determining the maximum mass that two ropes can support when connected to a steel cable and hanging weight, using Newton's equations and trigonometric functions. After some calculations, it is determined that the weight is equal to 6400N, despite a previous mistake in the final calculation.
chudd88
[STRIKE]

Homework Statement

Two ropes are connected to a steel cable that supports a hanging weight as shown.

image010.gif

If the maximum tension either rope can sustain without breaking is 5000 N, determine the maximum mass m that the ropes can support.

Homework Equations

Newton's equations #1, #3.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the left rope have tension T1, and the right rope have tension T2. So, the horizontal component of T1 is cos(60)*T1, which must equal the horizontal component of T2, which is cos(40)*T2. So:

cos(60)*T1 = cos(40)*T2
T1 = (cos(40) / cos(60)) *T2
T1 = 1.532*T2

So T1 has the greater tension.

The problem states that the maximum tension for either T1 or T2 is 5000N. So, since T1 has the greatest tension, we give it a tension of 5000N. This means that T2 has a tension of 3266N.

The weight of the block is equal to the sum of the vertical components of the two tensions. So:

w = sin(60)*T1 + sin(40)*T2

So we have:

w = sin(60)*5000N + sin(40)*3266N
w = 5035N

That's the answer I get. My book tells me the answer is 6400N. I'm not sure where I've gone wrong here.[/STRIKE]

Nevermind all of this. As it turns out, I was just screwing up the final calculation. sin(60)*5000N + sin(40)*3266N doesn't equal 5035N, as I indicated.

So, nothing to see here...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chudd88 said:
So, nothing to see here...
:smile: We've all been there / done that

FAQ: A weight supported by two ropes

1. How do I calculate the tension in each rope when supporting a weight?

The tension in each rope can be calculated by using the formula T = mg/2, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the weight, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This assumes that the weight is evenly distributed between the two ropes.

2. Will the tension in the ropes change if the weight is moved?

Yes, the tension in the ropes will change if the weight is moved. As the weight moves, the distribution of the weight between the two ropes will change, causing the tension in each rope to change accordingly.

3. How do the angles of the ropes affect the tension?

The angles of the ropes can affect the tension by changing the distribution of weight between the two ropes. As the angle of the ropes increases, the tension in the ropes will also increase. This is because the weight is pulling more directly on each rope instead of being evenly distributed.

4. What is the maximum weight that can be supported by two ropes?

The maximum weight that can be supported by two ropes will depend on a variety of factors such as the strength of the ropes, the angle of the ropes, and the stability of the support structure. It is best to consult with an engineer or use a weight limit calculator to determine the maximum weight that can be safely supported by two ropes.

5. How do I ensure that the weight is evenly distributed between the two ropes?

To ensure that the weight is evenly distributed between the two ropes, it is important to make sure that the ropes are at equal angles and that the support structure is stable. Additionally, using a pulley system or adjusting the position of the weight can help to evenly distribute the weight between the two ropes.

Back