Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Windows problem

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    I tried installing (actually re-installing) a package on my home system, which has XP. When the install was started, it gives the "loading InstallShield" message, and just as it finishes it gives the familiar jarring sound and a tiny message box with nothing but an "X" and the "OK" click button. Once clicked, everything goes away. It gives no hint what its problem is. Can anybody help?

BTW: Yesterday I had a hard time opening the CD Rom drive.

KM

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2
    So you are having trouble installing software?

4. Jan 30, 2010 #3
    Yes. When I click on the message box, the install goes away. If I don't I can't do anything.

KM

5. Jan 31, 2010 #4
    Are you installing this package through the internet, or through a CD? If you are downloading it from the internet try to download from another source. If you are installing from a CD check if autorun is enabled. If you don't know how to enable it go to the the CD drive in "My Computer" typically D:\ and open it. Inside you should find a file called setup.exe or install.exe.

6. Feb 1, 2010 #5
    What is the software you're trying to install and what is it for? Is it a driver package?

7. Feb 1, 2010 #6
    Autorun is enabled. In fact, when the CD is inserted it comes up easily. Then, when the program is selected to install, Installshield stares and apparently finishes, but then the problem message box comes. When the OK is clicked, the installshield goes away and nothing else happens.

KM

8. Feb 1, 2010 #7

It's an older version of PageMaker 6.5.

KM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook