Having trouble with Windows installation and CD Rom drive? Any solutions?

• Thread starter Kenneth Mann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: What is the software you're trying to install and what is it for? Is it a driver package?PageMaker is a word processing software. It is for creating professional looking documents.
Kenneth Mann
I tried installing (actually re-installing) a package on my home system, which has XP. When the install was started, it gives the "loading InstallShield" message, and just as it finishes it gives the familiar jarring sound and a tiny message box with nothing but an "X" and the "OK" click button. Once clicked, everything goes away. It gives no hint what its problem is. Can anybody help?

BTW: Yesterday I had a hard time opening the CD Rom drive.

KM

Computer science news on Phys.org
So you are having trouble installing software?

Yes. When I click on the message box, the install goes away. If I don't I can't do anything.

KM

Are you installing this package through the internet, or through a CD? If you are downloading it from the internet try to download from another source. If you are installing from a CD check if autorun is enabled. If you don't know how to enable it go to the the CD drive in "My Computer" typically D:\ and open it. Inside you should find a file called setup.exe or install.exe.

What is the software you're trying to install and what is it for? Is it a driver package?

logickills said:
Are you installing this package through the internet, or through a CD? If you are downloading it from the internet try to download from another source. If you are installing from a CD check if autorun is enabled. If you don't know how to enable it go to the the CD drive in "My Computer" typically D:\ and open it. Inside you should find a file called setup.exe or install.exe.

Autorun is enabled. In fact, when the CD is inserted it comes up easily. Then, when the program is selected to install, Installshield stares and apparently finishes, but then the problem message box comes. When the OK is clicked, the installshield goes away and nothing else happens.

KM

vincentm said:
What is the software you're trying to install and what is it for? Is it a driver package?

It's an older version of PageMaker 6.5.

KM

1. What causes a Windows problem?

There are many potential causes for a Windows problem, such as software conflicts, hardware issues, malware or viruses, corrupted system files, or outdated drivers.

2. How can I troubleshoot a Windows problem?

To troubleshoot a Windows problem, you can try restarting your computer, running a virus scan, checking for updates, using the Windows Troubleshooter, or reinstalling problematic software.

3. Can a Windows problem be fixed without professional help?

Yes, many Windows problems can be fixed without professional help by following troubleshooting tips online, using built-in tools, or seeking assistance from the Windows community.

4. How can I prevent Windows problems in the future?

To prevent Windows problems, it is important to regularly update your software and drivers, use antivirus software, avoid downloading suspicious files, and perform regular maintenance tasks such as disk cleanup and defragmentation.

5. What should I do if I encounter a blue screen error on Windows?

If you encounter a blue screen error, also known as a "blue screen of death," you can try restarting your computer, running a virus scan, or using the Windows Troubleshooter. If the problem persists, you may need to seek professional help or reinstall your operating system.