1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About a monotonically decreasing f, does it exist a theorem that says

1. Nov 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have y=2x*f(x).
    f is strictly monotonically decreasing, non-negative, derivable and continuous in the close interval [0,c] with c>=1. it doesn't change its concavity in the interval, maybe beside at x=c/2. Note that 2x has the same properties but is monotonically increasing.
    i've found a maximum point for y, at x=c/2, but not knowing f i was able only to demostrate that it was a local max. i want to say that it's the global max

2. The attempt at a solution

if there's a unique maximum for y in the interval [0,c], then my local max is automatically the global max

i think that is obviously true, but does it exist a theorem that says
    the product of two nonnegative functions with fixed concavity, one monotonically increasing and the other decreasing in [a,b], is a function that has a single maximum point, being monotonically incresing before and monotonically decreasing after. if the max is in a or b then the new function is only increasing or decreasing
    or something like that?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Counterexample: f(x)=1/x. Or 1/sqrt(x). Or1/(x2)

It's true in general that if a function is continuous and has only a single critical point, which is a local max or min, then that is a global max or min. Why? Because the derivative to the left of that point must always be positive (it can only change sign at a critical point) and to the right it must be negative. Which means the function is increasing on [a,x] and decreasing on [x,b] where x is your critical point, and you can work out the details from there.

4. Nov 25, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

Sorry but i don't understand how these are counterexample. Beside that they aren't derivable in 0, if i multiply them with 2x i obtain functions that the max is in a or b and the new function is only increasing or decreasing

Probably i failed to write that 0=<a<b<+inf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook