Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About air resistance in horizontal direction

1. Jul 11, 2011 #1
    Hello, I was playing with formulas on air resistance and derived formula for velocity in horizontal direction after object was thrown. It looks reasonable but I started have confusion about it, i'd like for you great experts check on its derivation, so here it goes every v is v in x direction.

So I assumed that then object is thrown the only force that acts on it in x direction is air resistance opposite to its velocity, f = Dv^2, where D some constant.

so it should be: f = ma (since the force is in the same direction as acceleration (opposite to object velocity)), but I skipped this part and wrote:

-f = m dv/dx * dx/dt = mv dv/dx

-Dv^2 = mv dv/dx

-D/m dx = dv/v

and after integrating x from 0 to x, and from v0 to v, I've got: v = v0 * e^(-Dx/m)

It looks reasonably to me since velocity always decrease from its maximum value (v0), how its suppose to be.

Now after a while I got confused about this part: -f = mv dv/dx
    if f = ma, according to me f [itex]\neq[/itex] mv dv/dx

Is it right because change in velocity over distance is in opposite direction as the force (and acceleration)? But velocity is also in different direction so why it is not like f = m(-v)(-dv/dx)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted