1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About Blocks, torques and wedges

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    Problem picture below:

I know Newton's second law for torque torquenet=I*alpha and regular old Fnet=m*a, but I don't see how they fit together here (how I can account for frictional forces and torque at the same time). Help appreciated, thanks :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2
    Have you drawn a free body diagram and summed up all the forces in each direction?
  4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    My problem with that is I don't know what to put for the force of the torque(s
    ? one or two) created by the wheel.
  5. Oct 19, 2005 #4
    Still not working out to even close to the right answer here and drawing a free body diagram isn't helping the situation as it is just confusing me more with force components, et. al.
  6. Oct 20, 2005 #5
    I think this link may help you,

the problem is a little different but the concepts behind it is actually the same.

7. Oct 24, 2005 #6
    Still isn't helping, I keep drawing the free body diagrams and getting wrong and different answers. After solving for the torque forces (tensions) in that example, does it make a difference that the second torque is at an angle on an incline?

What would the equation for the net torque even look like in this problem? Is there some easier way to do this than ugly free body diagrams?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?