About Kinetic energy of circular motion

In summary, the solution for question A assumes that the bob does not need kinetic energy at the highest point to go through the complete circle due to its slow speed at that point. However, in question B, the assumption cannot be made because the pendulum bob is attached to a flexible string, which requires a minimum speed and tension at the top of the loop for it to make it around.
Physics news on Phys.org
jack1234 said:
This is the question,
http://tinyurl.com/ywxlyu
And this is the solution:
http://tinyurl.com/yt4qn2

May I know why the solution assume it does not need kinetic energy at the highest point to go through the complete circle?

The bob is assumed to "barely make it around the circle." This tells us that the bob's speed is almost zero at the top of the circle. Since the speed is so small up there, the kinetic energy would be very, very close to zero. This means that the approximation of kinetic energy = 0 at the top of the loop is justified.

Hi, thanks, but I have updated my question for including a question B for compare.
May I know why in question B, we cannot assume this?

jack1234 said:
Hi, thanks, but I have updated my question for including a question B for compare.
May I know why in question B, we cannot assume this?

I am not sure what you are asking. Where in the solution to this second problem would you like to make that assumption? The pendulum bob is not going around the top of the loop.

jack1234 said:
May I know why the solution for question A assume it does not need kinetic energy at the highest point to go through the complete circle? But question B assume it needed?(mg=mv^2/r)
For a bob attached to a flexible string to make it around the loop, the string must have some tension in it at all points. Not so for the rigid rod. In order for the string to have some slight non-zero tension at the top of the loop, a minimum speed is required.

I see, a simple keyword make so much different! Thanks a lot :)

Related to About Kinetic energy of circular motion

1. What is kinetic energy in circular motion?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. In circular motion, it is the energy that an object has due to its rotation around a fixed point.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated in circular motion?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy in circular motion is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of circular motion?

The kinetic energy of circular motion is affected by the speed and mass of the object, as well as the radius of the circular path. The greater the speed and mass, and the smaller the radius, the greater the kinetic energy will be.

4. How is kinetic energy related to other forms of energy in circular motion?

Kinetic energy is closely related to potential energy in circular motion. As an object moves around a circular path, its kinetic energy increases while its potential energy decreases. At the top of the circular path, all of the energy is in the form of potential energy, while at the bottom, all of the energy is in the form of kinetic energy.

5. How can kinetic energy of circular motion be applied in real-life scenarios?

The kinetic energy of circular motion is important in many real-life scenarios, such as amusement park rides, centrifuges, and planetary orbits. It is also used in various sports, such as ice skating, figure skating, and gymnastics. Understanding the principles of kinetic energy in circular motion can also help in designing and analyzing machines and structures that involve rotational motion.