1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About my career

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    I am planning to persuade the Computer Hardware Engineer career. And I also planning to work in CA(San Jose) or AZ(Phoenix). So i wonder will you get a good pay ? Is there a big chance that i will be laid off.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2
  4. Sep 16, 2007 #3
    LOL. Nice response Wildman, It about sums it up.

A Computer Hardware Engineering....

I never heard of this major, do you mean a Computer Engineer?

There is always a chance you will get laid off if your in the technology field, just make sure you know more than the other guy and you'll be fine :)

If your job is replacing/troub shooting hardware, then no you won't get paid a lot if your lucky to find a job doing that.

If your job is designing processors and/or any other DESIGN job, that engineers get to do if they are lucky, then yes you will get paid a pretty good amount.

PS: IF you want to design anything being a computer engineering you need AT LEAST your masters, they won't let you touch hardware design with a 4 year degree in Computer Engineering. At best you'll get to write test programs in VHDL/VERILOG with a 4 year degree.

If you want money though, become a lawyer or doctor, it will be less stressful and you'll get paid more than an engineer in most cases.

From what I've seen/heard from my managers/peers, if you want to stay in the engineering field, you will hit a cieling on how much you'll get paid, after that, if you want more money you have to become a manager. Depending on how big the company is, if you want to become a manager you'll need to go to school and get your MBA.

Where you won't be doing any design/programming or anything like that you'll be bossing people around and dealing with clients more.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?