Pursuing a Computer Hardware Engineer Career in CA or AZ: Pay & Security

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential career of a Computer Hardware Engineer, with the speaker wondering about job opportunities and salary potential. They mention the possibility of being laid off and the importance of having a higher degree for certain positions in the field. The conversation also touches on the potential for higher paying jobs in law or medicine and the possibility of transitioning into a managerial role for higher pay.
willingtolearn
I am planning to persuade the Computer Hardware Engineer career. And I also planning to work in CA(San Jose) or AZ(Phoenix). So i wonder will you get a good pay ? Is there a big chance that i will be laid off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

LOL. Nice response Wildman, It about sums it up.

A Computer Hardware Engineering...

I never heard of this major, do you mean a Computer Engineer? There is always a chance you will get laid off if your in the technology field, just make sure you know more than the other guy and you'll be fine :)

If your job is replacing/troub shooting hardware, then no you won't get paid a lot if your lucky to find a job doing that.

If your job is designing processors and/or any other DESIGN job, that engineers get to do if they are lucky, then yes you will get paid a pretty good amount.PS: IF you want to design anything being a computer engineering you need AT LEAST your masters, they won't let you touch hardware design with a 4 year degree in Computer Engineering. At best you'll get to write test programs in VHDL/VERILOG with a 4 year degree.

If you want money though, become a lawyer or doctor, it will be less stressful and you'll get paid more than an engineer in most cases.From what I've seen/heard from my managers/peers, if you want to stay in the engineering field, you will hit a cieling on how much you'll get paid, after that, if you want more money you have to become a manager. Depending on how big the company is, if you want to become a manager you'll need to go to school and get your MBA.

Where you won't be doing any design/programming or anything like that you'll be bossing people around and dealing with clients more.

Last edited:

What is the average salary for a computer hardware engineer in CA or AZ?

The average salary for a computer hardware engineer in CA or AZ is around $106,000 per year. However, this can vary depending on factors such as experience, company, and location within the state.

Is job security high for computer hardware engineers in CA or AZ?

Yes, job security for computer hardware engineers in CA or AZ is generally high. The demand for skilled engineers in this field is growing, and there are many companies in these states that have a strong need for computer hardware engineers.

What are the main responsibilities of a computer hardware engineer?

The main responsibilities of a computer hardware engineer include designing, developing, and testing computer hardware components such as processors, memory devices, and circuit boards. They also work on improving existing hardware and ensuring it meets industry standards.

What education and skills are needed to become a computer hardware engineer in CA or AZ?

To become a computer hardware engineer in CA or AZ, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, or a related field. Strong skills in math, problem-solving, and attention to detail are also important for this career.

What are the career prospects for computer hardware engineers in CA or AZ?

Career prospects for computer hardware engineers in CA or AZ are positive. As technology continues to advance and companies rely more on computer hardware, the demand for skilled engineers will continue to grow, providing ample opportunities for career growth and advancement.