About photons and it's quality

I will look into it.In summary, the absorption of photons by electrons in quantum theory can explain phenomena such as reflection, refraction, and scattering of light from a photon's point of view rather than through wave theory. For further understanding, resources such as the PhysicsForums and Feynman's "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" are recommended.
balu ram
The photons get absorbed according to quantum theory by an electron for Instance in an atom form this phenomenon can anyone explain me reflection ,refraction and scattering of light in photon point of view and not by wavetheory

Physics news on Phys.org
balu ram said:
The photons get absorbed according to quantum theory by an electron for Instance in an atom form this phenomenon can anyone explain me reflection ,refraction and scattering of light in photon point of view and not by wavetheory

Welcome to PhysicsForums, balu ram!

These are some good questions. The answers are a bit complicated, not necessarily the kind of things that can be summarized to a few words. Member & mentor ZapperZ has written some good posts related to this, here is one worth reading:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/do-photons-move-slower-in-a-solid-medium.511177/

Also:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-diffraction.763093/

I think there are a few more relevant ones in the FAQ section, but I cannot find them at this time. Here is the full set:
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/resources-and-faqs.160/?pf_reply_count=30&pf_view_count=2000&pf_first_post_likes=2&pf_featured=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71 and bhobba
Thanks for the suggestion

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that is the smallest unit of light. It is considered the basic unit of all forms of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, radio waves, and X-rays.

2. How is the quality of a photon determined?

The quality of a photon is primarily determined by its energy or wavelength. The higher the energy, the higher the quality. Additionally, photons can have different polarizations, which can affect their quality.

3. How does the quality of a photon affect its behavior?

The quality of a photon affects its behavior in various ways. For example, higher quality photons have more energy and can penetrate deeper into materials, while lower quality photons may be more easily absorbed. Additionally, the quality of a photon can determine its interaction with matter, such as whether it will be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed.

4. Can the quality of a photon be changed?

Yes, the quality of a photon can be changed through various processes, such as scattering, absorption, and emission. For example, when a photon is absorbed by an atom, it can be re-emitted at a different energy level, resulting in a change in quality. Furthermore, the quality of a photon can also be altered through the use of specialized materials, such as filters or lenses.

5. How are photons used in everyday life?

Photons have numerous everyday applications, including in lighting, communication technologies, medical imaging, and solar energy. They also play a crucial role in our ability to see, as visible light is made up of photons. Additionally, photons are used in scientific research to study the behavior of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.