About road rules in your country

• Thread starter levadny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary, road rules in my country are regulated by the government and enforced by law enforcement agencies. These rules include speed limits, traffic signals, and regulations for driving under the influence. Drivers must also have a valid license and proper insurance to operate a vehicle. Failure to follow these rules can result in fines, license suspension, or even jail time. Additionally, there are specific rules for different types of vehicles, such as motorcycles and commercial trucks. Overall, following road rules is crucial for the safety of all drivers and pedestrians on the road.
levadny
Dear All.
My hobby is road traffic and road rules. For me is very interest rules in other countries. I want read official text of rules in your country.
Please add link for official text if you know. In English please if you can.
My English is not good. I search in Google but not got correct results.
Thanks.

I can added link on Russian rules or I can translate Russian Rules on English.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes levadny
Jonathan Scott, thanks a lot! I read this.

Hello Levadny, on https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/documenten/brochures/2012/02/28/verkeersborden-en-verkeersregels-in-nederland-engels (a website by the Dutch government) you can download a PDF (published in 2013) with an English translation of the official laws and regulations in The Netherlands.

Likes levadny
In the US, traffic laws (road rules) are determined by the 50 individual states. For example, here is South Carolina's Motor Vehicle Code:

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/title56.php

I think chapter 5, "Uniform Act Regulating Traffic on Highways", is probably what you're mainly interested in.

Smaller governmental units (e.g. cities) sometimes establish their own traffic regulations to supplement these.

For other states, try a Google search for "<state name> traffic laws" or perhaps "<state name> motor vehicle code".. That's how I found the South Carolina laws.

Likes levadny
Krylov said:
Hello Levadny, on https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/documenten/brochures/2012/02/28/verkeersborden-en-verkeersregels-in-nederland-engels (a website by the Dutch government) you can download a PDF (published in 2013) with an English translation of the official laws and regulations in The Netherlands.
Thanks. Спасибо!

jtbell said:
In the US, traffic laws (road rules) are determined by the 50 individual states. For example, here is South Carolina's Motor Vehicle Code:

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/title56.php

I think chapter 5, "Uniform Act Regulating Traffic on Highways", is probably what you're mainly interested in.

Smaller governmental units (e.g. cities) sometimes establish their own traffic regulations to supplement these.

For other states, try a Google search for "<state name> traffic laws" or perhaps "<state name> motor vehicle code".. That's how I found the South Carolina laws.
Thanks.
I know that in every state every rules. It is not difficult when traveling around the country? Or rules very similar?

The rules are actually very similar, but the differences can occasionally cause problems when traveling. For example, in most states, after stopping for a red traffic signal, you may turn to the right onto the cross road if there is no traffic coming on that road, unless a sign at that intersection specifically prohibits it ("No turn on red"). However, in some states this is not true, and you have to wait for a green signal before turning right.

The state's Department of Motor Vehicles generally publishes a driver's handbook or manual (or something similar) which contains the traffic laws in human-readable (rather than lawyer-readable) format. For South Carolina, it appears to be http://scdmvonline.com/dmvnew/forms/introduction.pdf, but the DMV's server is down at the moment so I can't access it.

Likes levadny
jtbell said:
The rules are actually very similar, but the differences can occasionally cause problems when traveling. For example, in most states, after stopping for a red traffic signal, you may turn to the right onto the cross road if there is no traffic coming on that road, unless a sign at that intersection specifically prohibits it ("No turn on red"). However, in some states this is not true, and you have to wait for a green signal before turning right.

The state's Department of Motor Vehicles generally publishes a driver's handbook or manual (or something similar) which contains the traffic laws in human-readable (rather than lawyer-readable) format. For South Carolina, it appears to be http://scdmvonline.com/dmvnew/forms/introduction.pdf, but the DMV's server is down at the moment so I can't access it.

Wow. In Russia, too. I don't can turn on the left if red signal but if not around the green arrow (additional section) or light green signal.
In general, in Russia the rules one for the whole country but the penalty for their violation may be different in different regions.

Here is the human-readable :smile: Driver's Handbook for the state of California in the USA:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...00.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEdT1pg1ieNI6T7zrvs_lOy_FHD5A

One other example of how driving laws can vary in the US state-to-state (or in this case by city) is that in most cities it is okay to make a U-turn unless the intersection has "No U-Turn" signs. In Denver, Colorado, it is the opposite -- There must be a sign saying that a U-Turn is okay. (At least that was the case back in the early 1980s when I lived there -- don't ask me how I found that out!)

Likes levadny
berkeman said:
Here is the human-readable :smile: Driver's Handbook for the state of California in the USA:

I like your yellow warning signs! It's beautiful!

levadny said:
Yes, here yellow/black signs are warnings, and black/white signs are the law (you can get a ticket for violating them).

BTW, one type of warning sign is the recommended speed limit for corners. They are yellow/black, so they are just warning signs and you shouldn't be given a ticket for going faster than the posted warning speed in that corner. In California, the warning signs are about 15mph slower than a good pace that you can carry through most of those corners on a dry day with a good vehicle. However, I was on vacation in Hawaii one time, driving the family in a rented van, and saw a warning speed sign as I approached a turn on a windy road. Lucky for me I didn't add 15mph to the number on the sign! In Hawaii, they apparently post accurate speeds on their warning signs! :woot:

Likes levadny
levadny said:
For what it's worth, If you are interested in the subtle differences between road signs in different countries, Wikipedia has two articles

Comparison of MUTCD-influenced traffic signs -- for the American style

Comparison of European road signs -- for the European style

Both these articles contain a very large number of images and are therefore very slow to load.

Likes levadny
I don't travel internationally much, but I have noticed that often published rules are quite different from what actually happens. I was in Costa Rica a few weeks ago, and before I went I read up on their driving rules. Once I got there, I realized that what is legal and what is actually done are quite different! I would guess lots of places are like this.

So, OP, do you have any plans to travel to places you have researched to find out if they actually follow the written laws?

Likes levadny
lisab said:
Once I got there, I realized that what is legal and what is actually done are quite different!
Can you give a couple of examples? Other than just the speed limits, of course... :smile:

lisab said:
I don't travel internationally much, but I have noticed that often published rules are quite different from what actually happens. I was in Costa Rica a few weeks ago, and before I went I read up on their driving rules. Once I got there, I realized that what is legal and what is actually done are quite different! I would guess lots of places are like this.
My guess is, that all places are like this:
Self-Driving Cars Are More Accident-Prone, Study Finds
...self-driving cars’ inability to bend or break traffic laws, as human drivers regularly do, could make their driving habits surprising to others on the road, leading to crashes.

Perhaps someone should make a movie: "Rebels, with cars"

berkeman said:
Can you give a couple of examples? Other than just the speed limits, of course... :smile:
Yeah, breaking speed limits...who does that :angel::oldwink:?

Passing (I believe the Brits call this "overtaking"?). Cars pass other cars wherever, whenever they please. Yes there are double-lines that *try* to communicate that passing is a bad idea here (not to mention illegal), but they are universally disregarded.

And the pedestrians are also quite, erm, free-spirited. People walk or ride bikes/scooters pretty much all over the roads. And horses. Black horses. At night. On the highway. No lights, no reflectors. (No worries...we juuuuuust missed 'em :nb)!)

@berkeman My motorcross race buddy always said "double and ten" as the guideline for the 'warning' signs about corners on a good street bike.. he was an excellent rider.

I read a book about traffic.. surprisingly, it's titled "Traffic: why we drive the way we do and what it says about us", by Tom Vanderbilt.. it was a good read, and I learned a lot...

One interesting study was the fact that some 'obstructions' improve the flow of traffic.. A test was done with ants in a petri dish with a small opening, about wide enough for 2 or 3 ants. The first test was done by dropping something the ants didn't like into the dish, so they'd try to escape, and they'd bottleneck at the opening... The second test they put a pylon in front of the opening, and again put the ant repellent in the dish.. the ants were able to evacuate much quicker with the pylon there because it smoothed the flow before the obstruction!

Rx7man said:
@berkeman My motorcross race buddy always said "double and ten" as the guideline for the 'warning' signs about corners on a good street bike.. he was an excellent rider.
Yeah, just don't try that in Hawaii! :smile:

Likes Rx7man
jtbell said:
<Snip>.
In New York City there is no right turn on red. And most streets are one-way streets. I have never seen anyone stopped for violating traffic rules, though I have seen a lot of parking tickets being issued.

Dear All, thanks a lot! I read all information and use this in my education.

Related to About road rules in your country

1. What are the speed limits on different types of roads in my country?

The speed limits in my country vary depending on the type of road. On highways, the speed limit can range from 55-75 mph (88-120 km/h). On urban roads, the speed limit is usually 25-35 mph (40-56 km/h). In residential areas, the speed limit is typically 15-25 mph (24-40 km/h). Always be sure to check posted speed limit signs while driving.

2. Are there any specific rules for turning at intersections?

In my country, turning at intersections is usually allowed unless there is a sign indicating otherwise. When turning, always use your turn signal and yield to any pedestrians or oncoming traffic. It is also important to follow the designated lanes for turning, as some intersections may have separate lanes for left or right turns.

3. Can I use my cell phone while driving?

No, it is illegal to use a cell phone while driving in my country. This includes texting, talking on the phone, or any other activities that may distract you from driving. If you need to use your phone, pull over to a safe area and park before doing so.

4. Are there any restrictions for driving under the influence of alcohol?

Yes, it is illegal to drive with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) above 0.08% in my country. This is equivalent to about 2-3 drinks depending on your weight and gender. It is always best to have a designated driver or use a ride-sharing service if you plan on drinking alcohol.

5. What should I do if I get into a car accident?

If you are involved in a car accident, the first step is to check on the well-being of yourself and others involved. If anyone is injured, call for medical help immediately. Next, exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver(s). It is also important to contact the police and report the accident. Follow any instructions given by the police and cooperate with the investigation. Lastly, contact your insurance company to report the accident and file a claim.