About the Bargmann-Wigner Method

• A
  • Thread starter HeavyWater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the Bargmann Wigner Method seems to be a means to obtain wave equations for higher spins, using a Dirac-like equation. equation 2.4 GIVES the wave function for j=1, showing that the method is not just applicable to scalar fields.
HeavyWater
TL;DR Summary
By example, show how one obtains a Bargmann-Wigner wave function.
See Reference: ArXiv: 1208.0644

The Bargmann Wigner Method seems to be a means to obtain wave equations for higher spins, I.e. j=1, 3/2, 2, etc. In this method, one uses a Dirac-like equation to operate on a wave function. For example, equations, 2.2 and 2.3 show Dirac-like equations that operate on wave functions. Usually in QM, we SOLVE for the wave function, but to my surprise equation 2.4 GIVES the wave function (here for j=1). In addition, I am surprised to see Dirac Gamma matrices (which pertain to Fermions) in an equation that will be used to derive a bosonic (j=1) wave equation. Can you talk about how someone came up with equation 2.4 and show how one derives one (or both) of the terms in 2.4.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know the responders are busy...but no one has responded to the last sentence in my query--it's about how to arrive at both terms in equation 2.4 in the (above) specified reference. Please read it again--if you don't know the answer it's ok to say so.

I have already answered your question. Read the argument which led to Eq(2.1) in
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...theory-from-the-ground-up.941219/post-5954706Any totally symmetric (BW) multi-spinor can be expanded in terms of the symmetric subset [itex]\{ \gamma^{\mu} C , \sigma^{\mu\nu}C \}[/itex] of the Clifford algebra
[tex]\Gamma^{a}C = \big\{ \{ C , i\gamma_{5}C , \gamma^{\mu}\gamma_{5}C \} , \{ \gamma^{\mu}C , \sigma^{\mu\nu}C \}\big\} .[/tex]
The spin-1 case that you are talking about is even simpler because the multi-spinor is of rank-2. So, you can expand [itex]\Psi_{mn}(x) = \Psi_{nm}(x)[/itex] as follow
[tex]\Psi_{mn}(x) = \left( \gamma^{\mu}C \right)_{mn} \ B_{\mu}(x) + \frac{1}{2} \left( \sigma^{\mu\nu}C \right)_{mn} \ G_{\mu\nu}(x) .[/tex]

Likes dextercioby
Seeing these great responses just reminds me of my frustrations being a small time physicist. Thank you Samalkhaiat and others for taking the time and patience to answer my questions.

1. What is the Bargmann-Wigner method?

The Bargmann-Wigner method is a mathematical approach used in quantum field theory to describe particles with higher spin values, such as photons and gravitons. It was developed by Valentin Bargmann and Eugene Wigner in the 1940s.

2. How does the Bargmann-Wigner method differ from other methods in quantum field theory?

The Bargmann-Wigner method differs from other methods in that it uses a tensor formalism to describe particles with higher spin values, while other methods often use spinors. This makes it a more elegant and efficient approach for describing particles with higher spin values.

3. What are the advantages of using the Bargmann-Wigner method?

One advantage of using the Bargmann-Wigner method is that it allows for a more concise and elegant mathematical description of particles with higher spin values. It also allows for a better understanding of the symmetries and properties of these particles.

4. Are there any limitations to the Bargmann-Wigner method?

Like any mathematical approach, the Bargmann-Wigner method has its limitations. It is most suitable for describing particles with integer or half-integer spin values, and may not be as effective for particles with other spin values. It also does not take into account interactions between particles.

5. How is the Bargmann-Wigner method used in practical applications?

The Bargmann-Wigner method is used in practical applications in quantum field theory, such as in the study of elementary particles and their interactions. It is also used in the development of theories such as quantum electrodynamics and quantum chromodynamics.