Disproving Carnot's Theorem: Is There an Error in My Thinking?

In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency of Carnot's engine compared to other engines and its ability to drive another engine as a refrigerator. The conclusion is that Carnot's theorem is disproved because a non-reversible heat engine cannot be reversed to make a refrigerator. The proof can be found in the book.
phymath7
TL;DR Summary
I was going through the proof of carnot theorem given in the book 'Heat and thermodynamics ' by Zemansky(seventh edition ,page 174).Here the proof was conducted by considering that the efficiency of the carnot engine is less than the other arbitrary engine.The other engine is driving the reverse carnot refrigerator .That leads to a contradiction hence carnot's theorem is proved.
But if I would assume that the efficiency of the carnot's engine is greater than the other engine and the carnot engine is driving the other engine backward as a refrigerator ,that would lead to the same contradiction hence disproving carbot's theorem! Is there something wrong I have done? Perhaps.Please point me out.

Science news on Phys.org
Could you show the proof in the book?

Lnewqban said:
Could you show the proof in the book?
Screenshot_20230205-235624_OneDrive.jpg

Ok,I have got it.The main point is that the carnot engine being a reversible engine can be reversed to make a refrigerator.But we can't reverse a non-reversible heat engine to make a refrigerator hence my assumption was incorrect.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is Carnot's Theorem and why is it important?

Carnot's Theorem is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics that states that the maximum efficiency of a heat engine is dependent on the temperatures of the hot and cold reservoirs. It is important because it provides a theoretical limit for the efficiency of heat engines, which are essential in many industries and technologies.

2. How can Carnot's Theorem be disproven?

Carnot's Theorem has been rigorously proven using mathematical equations and principles of thermodynamics. To disprove it, one would need to find a logical or mathematical error in the proof, which has not been done to date.

3. What are some common misconceptions about Carnot's Theorem?

One common misconception is that Carnot's Theorem only applies to idealized, reversible heat engines. In reality, it applies to all heat engines, including real-world ones that are not perfectly efficient.

4. Can Carnot's Theorem be applied to all heat engines?

Yes, Carnot's Theorem applies to all heat engines, regardless of their design or efficiency. It is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of heat engines.

5. How does Carnot's Theorem relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

Carnot's Theorem is a direct consequence of the first and second laws of thermodynamics. It is essentially a mathematical representation of these laws, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed and that heat always flows from hot to cold.