About wavefunctions of Hydrogen atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the complexity and realness of wavefunctions, and addresses a mistake on a webpage where the functions are listed as real instead of being linear combinations. The convenience of using p_x and p_y functions for certain purposes is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the use of mathematical equations and the suggestion of using LaTex for easier typing.
zhangpujumbo
Every one knows that wavefunctions are generally complex functions described by three quantum numbers n, l and m, and the number m is included in the form exp(i*m*fai). But here in the following webpage they are all real functions, I'm confused:confused: . Can anyone help me?

Thank u in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh, what web page? :confused:

That page makes a mistake in listing (for example) the [itex]2p_x[/itex] and [itex]2p_y[/itex] wave functions as having m = 1 and -1. They are actually linear combinations of the functions with m = 1 and -1. Recall that

[tex]\cos \phi = \frac{e^{i \phi} + e^{-i \phi}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\sin \phi = \frac{e^{i \phi} - e^{-i \phi}}{2i}[/tex]

If you measure [itex]L_z[/itex] for either of these functions, you get [itex]+ \hbar[/itex] half the time, and [itex]- \hbar[/itex] half the time, randomly.

The [itex]p_x[/itex] and [itex]p_y[/itex] functions are convenient for some purposes because they have lobes along the x and y axes, just like the [itex]p_z[/itex] (m = 0) function has lobes along the z axis.

Wave functions can be real; typically this is the case for bound states. (Strictly speaking this holds for the radial function.) Think about harmonic oscillator wave functions -- they are real. Pretty standard stuff.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

jtbell said:
That page makes a mistake in listing (for example) the [itex]2p_x[/itex] and [itex]2p_y[/itex] wave functions as having m = 1 and -1. They are actually linear combinations of the functions with m = 1 and -1. Recall that

If you measure [itex]L_z[/itex] for either of these functions, you get [itex]+ \hbar[/itex] half the time, and [itex]- \hbar[/itex] half the time, randomly.

Yes.

jtbell said:
The [itex]p_x[/itex] and [itex]p_y[/itex] functions are convenient for some purposes because they have lobes along the x and y axes, just like the [itex]p_z[/itex] (m = 0) function has lobes along the z axis.

In Cartesean coordinates it's clearer:

[tex] p_z\ \ \propto\ \ \cos{\theta}\ =\ \frac{z}{r}[/tex]

[tex] p_x\ \ \propto\ \ \sin{\theta}\cos{\phi}\ =\ \frac{x}{r}[/tex]

[tex] p_y\ \ \propto\ \ \sin{\theta}\sin{\phi}\ =\ \frac{y}{r}[/tex]

They are all the same.Regards, Hans

Last edited:
jtbell said:

Yes, I agree with your opinion very much!:approve:

There must be something wrong.

Thanks a lot:smile:

reilly said:
Wave functions can be real; typically this is the case for bound states. (Strictly speaking this holds for the radial function.) Think about harmonic oscillator wave functions -- they are real. Pretty standard stuff.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

I don't mean all wavefunctions must be complex.

But thank u all the same!

Hans de Vries said:
In Cartesean coordinates it's clearer:

[tex] p_z\ \ \propto\ \ \cos{\theta}\ =\ \frac{z}{r}[/tex]

[tex] p_x\ \ \propto\ \ \sin{\theta}\cos{\phi}\ =\ \frac{x}{r}[/tex]

[tex] p_y\ \ \propto\ \ \sin{\theta}\sin{\phi}\ =\ \frac{y}{r}[/tex]

en, it's clearer.

I don't know how to type mathematical equations here, it's too inconvenient.:cry:

How do you do that?

jtbell said:

It seems that all the equations are copied piece by piece, then typying equations will be too laborious a task

Is there a shortcut?

Not really. But LaTex is easy once you get past the initial shock.

inha said:
Not really. But LaTex is easy once you get past the initial shock.

I think a compact software like mathtype will help greatly.

Related to About wavefunctions of Hydrogen atom

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a particle, such as an electron. It contains information about the position, momentum, and energy of the particle.

2. How is the wavefunction of a Hydrogen atom described?

The wavefunction of a Hydrogen atom is described by the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the Coulombic attraction between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electron. The solution to this equation results in a set of wavefunctions, each with a different energy level.

3. What is the significance of the wavefunction in the Hydrogen atom?

The wavefunction of a Hydrogen atom provides valuable information about the atom's energy levels, orbital shapes, and electron density. It also allows for the calculation of other important properties, such as the atom's ionization energy and magnetic moments.

4. How does the principal quantum number affect the wavefunction of a Hydrogen atom?

The principal quantum number, denoted by n, determines the energy level and size of the orbital of the electron in the Hydrogen atom. As n increases, the energy level increases and the orbital becomes larger and more diffuse.

5. Can the wavefunction of a Hydrogen atom be observed?

No, the wavefunction itself cannot be observed directly. However, the probability distribution of finding an electron in a specific location, determined by the square of the wavefunction (|ψ|²), can be experimentally measured and has been confirmed to accurately describe the behavior of electrons in the Hydrogen atom.