About White Light: Exploring Its Wavelengths

In summary: This is because the prism separates the light into its constituent colors by dispersing them. There is no physical entanglement between the different wavelengths, they are just emitted in different proportions based on their distance from the source.
ValenceE
Hello to all,

White light is made up of all the wavelengths that are in the visible spectrum, and we can see it’s constituents via dispersion in a prism. My question is ;

How are these different wavelengths kept together while light is traveling from it’s source to my eyes ?

Is there a form of entanglement, or, are all the wavelengths emitted in the same proportion ?, that seems to me to be a bit too much to ask from a given source …

Thank you for your response,

VE

Science news on Phys.org
There are several ways of emitting light, the most common form (for day to day experience) is what's called black body radiation. This means if something is hot it will emit EM radiation, but not just at a specific wavelength, instead it emits a spectrum, whose peak moves along the x-axis as temperature increases, so you get red hot for example. But when this occurs you see red but that's not the only wavelenth being emitted, its just the others you can't see. When you get white hot the object has its intensity peak such that it covers most of the visible spectrumn, giving a white appearance.

As far as i know the reason the object emits a spectrumn is due to the energised electrons bouncing around inside their orbitals and doing so with different energies due to a temperature distribution that's not equal everywhere. this means you get different photon emissions.

If you look up something called the 'ultraviolet catastrophe' youll be able to learn a bit more about why this happens, also read up on blackbody radiation.

Funky, you just cleared up a couple of questions that have been bugging me for a while. Thanks.

Thank you Funky, I read about black body radiation and it’s very much like you said.

And I certainly second Danger’s comments…

VE

No worries :)

ValenceE said:
...How are these different wavelengths kept together while light is traveling from it’s source to my eyes ?

Is there a form of entanglement, or, are all the wavelengths emitted in the same proportion ?, that seems to me to be a bit too much to ask from a given source …

VE
This may not be such a great coincidence as it seems. The reason light is emmitted in just the right proportions to appear white when it reaches your eye is because your eye is designed to detect light through the frequencies most abundantly available in your environment. The human eye sees light in the part of the spectrum in which the Sun puts out most of its radiation. The color we call "white" is just the experience the brain has when the optic nerves are regitering every frequency they can.

Artificial light sources are not white by chance, either. Inventors and manufacturers run through as many substances and processes as they can think of to produce a light source that is white.

This has always made me wonder; if intellegent life exists on a planet around a radio-emitting star, and one of them travels here to visit, what would Earth look like to him? Our Sun emits some radio, but not much. Daytime would probably look like night to him, and the Sun like a good full moon. He would probably be able to see through most walls, but unable to see the Moon, and a radio tower (if it were broadacsting on the right frequency) would look like a lighthouse.

Just a fun mental exercise.

To start with, I would suspect that your alien would be one significantly dense individual. This is purely based upon the assumption that, while all stars emit radio freqencies, one who's spectrum is primarily in that range is probably either a neutron star or a black hole.

ValenceE said:
How are these different wavelengths kept together while light is traveling from it’s source to my eyes ?
Remember, light rays coming from a very distant object are very nearly parallel to each other. Geometrically, that is the only orientation they could possibly be.

When split with a prism, the light rays are now coming from a nearby "source" (the prism) and they are made to not be parallel to each other.

1. What is white light?

White light is a combination of all the visible wavelengths of light, which includes colors such as red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

2. How does white light differ from other types of light?

White light differs from other types of light in that it contains all visible wavelengths, while other types of light may only contain certain wavelengths. For example, red light only contains red wavelengths, while white light contains all visible wavelengths.

3. How is white light created?

White light can be created in a variety of ways. One method is by passing light through a prism, which separates the different wavelengths and creates the appearance of white light. Another way is by mixing different colored lights together, such as red, green, and blue, to create the perception of white light.

4. What is the significance of exploring white light's wavelengths?

Exploring white light's wavelengths allows us to better understand the properties of light and how it interacts with different materials. It also helps us understand how color is perceived and how different wavelengths of light can affect our vision.

5. How does white light play a role in everyday life?

White light is essential for many everyday tasks and activities. It allows us to see colors and objects, provides us with light for reading and working, and is used in various forms of technology such as televisions and computer screens. White light also plays a crucial role in photosynthesis, providing plants with the energy they need to grow and survive.