Abs Value of X-Continuous Debate

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the function f(x)=|x| is continuous everywhere except at x=0. This can be proven by showing that it has continuous derivatives of all orders everywhere except at 0. The proof is obvious since |x| is equal to x or -x, both of which have continuous derivatives of all orders. However, f'(x) does not exist at 0, so it is not continuous at that point. The other condition for continuity, where the limit from both sides must exist and be equal to the value of the function at that point, is also satisfied for f(x)=|x| at x=0. Therefore, in conclusion, it is true that a function f(x) is continuous at x
Tom McCurdy
Question:
Is [tex] f(x)=\mid{x}\mid [/tex] continuous?

I have been looking online and got a few different answers. My calc B.C. teacher last year claimed that [tex] f(x)=\mid{x}\mid [/tex] is continuous everywhere except at x=0. My current 115 teacher maintains that anyone under that impression deserves to be boiled in their own pudding. It seems to me that it would make sense that it is continuous, but that is from a conceptual view rather than mathmatical defintion.

If anyone has any proof please tell me and provide link to site confirming it. Especially if it is not continuous at 0.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
|x| is continuous everywhere (including 0)
and has a continuous derivatives of all orders everywhere except 0.
The proof is obvious since
|x|=-x x<0
|x|=x x>0
x and -x clearly have continuous derivatives of all orders
|0+|=|0-|=|0|=0 so we have |x| is continuous everywhere
f'(x)=-1 x<0
f'(x)=1 x>0
so f'(x) does not exist at 0 so is not continuous
likewise higher derivatives

Alright, let [itex]f(x)=\lvert x\rvert[/itex]. So, given any [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex] take [itex]\delta=\varepsilon[/itex]. Then if [itex]\lvert x-0\vert<\delta[/itex] then [itex]\lvert f(x)-f(0)\rvert=\lvert f(x)\rvert<\varepsilon[/itex] and so [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}f(x)=0=f(0)[/itex] and therefore f(x) is continuous at x=0.

Is it true that a function f(x) is continuous at x=a if:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a+} f(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow a-} f(x)[/tex]?

Clearly, this holds for f(x) = |x| at x=0.

Is it true that a function f(x) is continuous at x=a if:

The other condition is obvious but necessary, we require the limit from both sides to exist and be equal to the value of the function at that point.

Your former teacher may have been confused with differentiability, meaning he probably had a bad day.
Or he's just plain dumb, I dunno.

Or maybe you misunderstood! f(x)= |x| is continuous at x= 0 but not differentiable there.

Thanks, it probably is my memory since it was from last year...

1. What is the absolute value of a continuous variable?

The absolute value of a continuous variable is a measure of the distance of the variable from zero on a number line. It represents the magnitude of the variable without considering its direction.

2. How is the absolute value of a continuous variable calculated?

The absolute value of a continuous variable is calculated by taking the numerical value of the variable without considering its sign. For example, the absolute value of -5 is 5, and the absolute value of 5 is also 5.

3. What is the purpose of using the absolute value of a continuous variable in debates?

The use of absolute value in debates helps to remove any bias or subjectivity based on the direction of the variable. It allows for a more objective analysis and comparison of data.

4. What are some common examples of using absolute value in debates?

One common example is in political debates, where data on economic indicators such as unemployment rates or GDP growth are compared using absolute values to avoid any political bias. Another example is in scientific debates, where absolute values are used to compare the magnitude of data findings.

5. Can the absolute value of a continuous variable ever be negative?

No, the absolute value of a continuous variable is always positive or zero. It represents the distance of the variable from zero on a number line, so it cannot be negative.