Finding the number of rational values a function can take

In summary, the student is trying to find a solution to a homework equation that has data insufficiency. He is trying to find a number that the function can be rational around, which would mean that f(a)=-f(b). He is also trying to find a root that the function has between a and c.
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

##f(x)## is a continuous and differentiable function. ##f(x)## takes values of the form ##^+_-\sqrt{I}## whenever x=a or b, (where ##I## denotes whole numbers) ; otherwise ##f(x)## takes real values. Also, ##|f(a)|\le |f(b)|## and ##f(c)=-1.5##. Graph of ##y=f(x)f'(x)##:
Untitled.png

The number of rational values that ##f(a)+f(b)+f(c)## can take is?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher told me that the question has data insufficiency. But I don't know why.
##f(x)f'(x)=0## implies either ##f(x)## or ##f'(x)## or both are zero. At ##c## ##f'(x)## is zero since ##f(x)## is non zero. Hence, f(x) has a maxima or minima at ##x=c##.
Now, from ##a## to ##c##, either bothe the function and its derivative is positive or both are negative. Applying Rolle's theorem,
##{f'(k)}^2+f(k)f"(k)=0## since ##g(a)=(c)##.
But I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the plot, between a and c, f(x) and f'(x) are either both negative or both positive. Since f(c) = -1.5, we should assume both negative. Then from b to c, f(x) and f'(x) should have different signs, and we know that f(c) is negative, so assume f(x) <0 f'(x) >0.
So the range of f(a) is bounded, as is the range of f(b). And you know that they are integers.
f(c) is fixed, so it will not contribute to the number of possible solutions to f(a) + f(b) + f(c).
So, how many whole numbers can f(a) be? what about f(b)?

Likes Titan97
f(a) and f(b) is always irrational. (given in the question). So, for f(a) + f(b) + f(c) to be rational, f(a)=-f(b). Also, f(a)<0 and f(b)>0.

Titan97 said:
f(a) and f(b) is always irrational. (given in the question). So, for f(a) + f(b) + f(c) to be rational, f(a)=-f(b). Also, f(a)<0 and f(b)>0.
The question says that f(a) and f(b) are roots of a whole number. So 1 and 0 are not out of the question.
if f(b) > 0, where does the function cross the axis, i.e. f(x)=0?

Likes Titan97
Titan97 said:
If ##\ I\ ## is a perfect square, then ##\ \sqrt{I}\ ## is rational.

Likes Titan97
On interval (a,c), f(x) is either negative and decreasing or positive and increasing; which option makes it possible to continuously arrive at f(c) = -1.5?
On interval (c,b), f(x) is either negative and increasing or positive and decreasing; which option makes it possible to begin continuously from f(c) = -1.5?
Is it possible for there to be any value in (c,b) where f(x) = 0? What would the plot look like at that point?
What whole numbers have roots in your possible ranges?
What combinations of those values are possible after imposing ##|f(a)| \leq |f(b)|##?
I get a number less than 10.

f(c)<0. This means, f'(c)<0. This is only for x=c. How can you say its true for all ##x\in [a,c]##?

Titan97 said:
f(c)<0. This means, f'(c)<0. This is only for x=c. How can you say its true for all ##x\in [a,c]##?
The function is continuous, right.

If it changes sign to the left of c, then what value must it pass through?

Titan97 said:
You mean f'(c) = 0, as you said in your initial post.
Between a and c, neither f nor f' can be zero, as SammyS mentioned, so your possible values for f(a) are constrained.
Similarly, between c and b, neither f nor f' can be zero, so you are constrained for possible values at f(b).
Add in the additional constraints of |f(a)| ≤ |f(b)| and then counting only the rational sums does not leave many possible options.

Likes Titan97
I have been trying this problem for hours.
f'(c)=0, f(x)f'(x)>0 for ##x\in [a,c]##. But f(c)<0. So f(x) between a and c is also negative since function is continuous. But can't f(x) have a root between a and c?

Titan97 said:
I have been trying this problem for hours.
f'(c)=0, f(x)f'(x)>0 for ##x\in [a,c]##. But f(c)<0. So f(x) between a and c is also negative since function is continuous. But can't f(x) have a root between a and c?
What would that imply for ##\ y=f(x) f'(x) \ ## at that root ?

it implies that y=0

Titan97 said:
it implies that y=0
Does that shed some light on this problem?

I am confused. Here are some plots for f(x) which are possible:
Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Why can't there be a root? The graphs are for y=f(x) and not f(x)f'(x). There are no roots for y=f(x)f'(x) in a<x<c

Titan97 said:
I am confused. Here are some plots for f(x) which are possible:
View attachment 86996

View attachment 86997

View attachment 86998
None of those look right to me. The curve given in the OP implies that in (a,c) f and f' have the same sign and in (c,b) they have the opposite sign.
But I do count three possibilities for the shape of f.

Likes Titan97
haruspex said:
None of those look right to me. The curve given in the OP implies that in (a,c) f and f' have the same sign and in (c,b) they have the opposite sign.
But I do count three possibilities for the shape of f.
Ok. I will analyse the curve separately from a to c and from c to b.
From a to c:
From ##a## to ##c##, f(x) and f'(x) have same sign.
Since ##y=f(x)f'(x)## is not zero for any ##x\in (a,c)##, ##f(x)## and ##f'(x)##≠0. At ##x=a##, ##f(a)f'(a)=0##. So either ##f(a)## or ##f'(a)## or both are zero. giving 3 possibilities.
Since ##y>0## from ##a## to ##c##, and ##f(c)<0##, ##f'(x)## and ##f(x)## is forced to be negative. ##f(a)## may be zero.
So the curve can be either red or green:
Untitled.png

Titan97 said:
Ok. I will analyse the curve separately from a to c and from c to b.
From a to c:
From ##a## to ##c##, f(x) and f'(x) have same sign.
Since ##y=f(x)f'(x)## is not zero for any ##x\in (a,c)##, ##f(x)## and ##f'(x)##≠0. At ##x=a##, ##f(a)f'(a)=0##. So either ##f(a)## or ##f'(a)## or both are zero. giving 3 possibilities.
Since ##y>0## from ##a## to ##c##, and ##f(c)<0##, ##f'(x)## and ##f(x)## is forced to be negative. ##f(a)## may be zero.
So the curve can be either red or green:
View attachment 87026
Yes, but you could make it clearer that the red curve isn't necessarily zero gradient at a. It need not have an inflexion between a and c.

Likes Titan97
ok. It could be zero. From c to b:
  1. y=f(x)f'(x)<0 so f(x) and f'(x) have opposite signs
  2. since f(c)<0, f'(x)>0 in (c,b) hence an increasing curve.
  3. Again, y≠0 in (c,b) so the curve is entirely below/above x-axis.
  4. f'(c)=0 and f(b)f'(b)=0.
So here are the possible curves:
Untitled.png

Titan97 said:
ok. It could be zero. From c to b:
  1. y=f(x)f'(x)<0 so f(x) and f'(x) have opposite signs
  2. since f(c)<0, f'(x)>0 in (c,b) hence an increasing curve.
  3. Again, y≠0 in (c,b) so the curve is entirely below/above x-axis.
  4. f'(c)=0 and f(b)f'(b)=0.
So here are the possible curves:
View attachment 87027
Right. But combining with (a,c), one of the four possibilities is ruled out in the OP, leaving 3.

Likes Titan97
Here are the possible curves:

Untitled.png

Titan97 said:
Here are the possible curves:

View attachment 87035
Right.
How about the original question? Not sure how much the diagrams help, but it's good to get them right.

Likes Titan97
i think f(a) and f(b) can only take values from 0 to -3/2.

Titan97 said:
i think f(a) and f(b) can only take values from 0 to -3/2.
Yes. So combine that with the other info you have about f(a), f(b).

Likes Titan97
f(a) and f(b) can only take values of the form ##^+_-\sqrt{I}##. From 0 to -3/2, the values are 0,-√1,-√2.

Titan97 said:
f(a) and f(b) can only take values of the form ##^+_-\sqrt{I}##. From 0 to -3/2, the values are 0,-√1,-√2.
Finally, add in the rational condition and |f(a)|<=|f(b)| to get your answer.

Likes Titan97
f(a)=-√2 , f(b)=-√2
f(a)=-√1 , f(b)=-√1
f(a)=0 , f(b)=0
f(a)=0 , f(b)=-√1
f(a)=-√1 , f(b)=-√2
f(a)=0 , f(b)=-√2
So the answer is 3?

Titan97 said:
f(a)=-√2 , f(b)=-√2
f(a)=-√1 , f(b)=-√1
f(a)=0 , f(b)=0
f(a)=0 , f(b)=-√1
f(a)=-√1 , f(b)=-√2
f(a)=0 , f(b)=-√2
So the answer is 3?
You listed six combinations, and I don't see any two that have the same sum.

what is that supposed to mean?

Titan97 said:
what is that supposed to mean?
The question in the OP is
Titan97 said:
The number of rational values that f(a)+f(b)+f(c) can take is?
Given what you have found, why do you the answer is 3 instead of 6?

0 - 3/2 - √2 is not a rational number

Titan97 said:
0 - 3/2 - √2 is not a rational number
Whoops - forgot that bit. Sorry for the noise.

Likes Titan97
That's ok :angel:

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a function that can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomials, where the denominator is not equal to zero. It can also be written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are both polynomials.

2. How do you find the number of rational values a function can take?

To find the number of rational values a function can take, you need to determine the number of real solutions to the equation f(x) = 0. This can be done by factoring the numerator and denominator of the rational function and solving for the values of x that make the function equal to zero.

3. Can a rational function have an infinite number of rational values?

No, a rational function can only have a finite number of rational values. This is because the denominator of a rational function cannot be equal to zero, so there are only a limited number of possible values that can make the function equal to zero.

4. Are all rational functions continuous?

No, not all rational functions are continuous. A rational function is continuous at all points where the denominator is not equal to zero. However, if the denominator has a root, the function will have a vertical asymptote at that point, making it discontinuous.

5. Can a rational function have irrational values?

Yes, a rational function can have irrational values. This can occur when the values of x that make the function equal to zero are irrational numbers. For example, the rational function f(x) = 1/x has an irrational value at x = 0.