Absolute Relative Error and Graphs

In summary, the individual uncertainties in the measurements of frequency and stopping potential will affect the overall absolute relative error in a calculated gradient. To determine this error, you can use the derivative method of uncertainty, which involves taking the derivative of the function with respect to each variable and multiplying it by the corresponding uncertainty. Finally, the overall uncertainty can be calculated by adding the squared contributions from each variable and taking the square root.
Procrastinate
I'm calculating absolute relative error at the moment for a practical I did. However, I've hit a brick when attempting to find a general relative error I can use because I need to gradient to find something else which also requires a relative error calculation.

I have frequency (+/- 0.0005) graphed against stopping potential (+/- 0..000005) and obviously because both of them differ, the relative percentages are very different. How do I find the general absolute relative error from a gradient.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain it that well but I can't think of a better way to convey what I'm trying to say.

Physics news on Phys.org
Absolute relative error? Typical we talk about either

relative error: [tex]Error = \frac{|(Exp - Act)|}{Act}[/tex]

OR

absolute error: [tex]Error = |Exp - Actual|[/tex]

However I think what you're trying to do is something similar the derivative method of uncertainty. Say you have a function you're trying to find experimentally g(f,v) where there is error in both f ([tex]\delta_{f}[/tex]) and v ([tex]\delta_{v}[/tex]) from measurements. Then the error in g is:

[tex]\sqrt{\delta_{gf}^2 + \delta_{gv}^2}[/tex]

Where:

[tex]\delta_{gf} = |\frac{\partial g}{\partial f}| * \delta_{f}[/tex]

[tex]\delta_{gv} = |\frac{\partial g}{\partial v}| * \delta_{v}[/tex]

Last edited:
I'm a bit new to derivatives, could you please show me a quick example? Thanks.

For example, say you have measured distance x and time t (each with its own uncertainty) and you're trying to compute the average velocity v. The formula for average velocity is
[tex]v = \frac{x}{t}[/tex]
So to figure out the uncertainty in average velocity, you would first calculate the contribution from the uncertainty in distance:
[tex]\delta_{vx} = \left|\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\right| \delta_x = \frac{1}{t} \delta_x[/tex]
and the contribution from the uncertainty in time:
[tex]\delta_{vt} = \left|\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}\right| \delta_t = \frac{x}{t^2} \delta_t[/tex]
(As for how exactly you figure out those derivatives: when taking the derivative with respect to distance, you treat time as a constant, so you are basically taking the derivative of a constant times x. That's just the constant. When taking the derivative with respect to time, you treat distance as a constant, so you are taking the derivative of the function constant/t, and that's -(constant)/t2... but the absolute value removes the negative sign.)

Having done that, just square those two quantities, add them up, and take the square root to get the overall uncertainty in velocity,
[tex]\delta_v = \sqrt{\delta_{vx}^2 + \delta_{vt}^2} = \sqrt{\left(\frac{1}{t} \delta_x\right)^2 + \left(\frac{x}{t^2} \delta_t\right)^2}[/tex]
And of course plug in whatever numbers you actually measured.

What is the definition of absolute relative error?

Absolute relative error is a measure of the difference between a given value and the actual value, expressed as a percentage of the actual value. It is calculated by dividing the absolute value of the difference between the given value and the actual value by the actual value and multiplying by 100.

How is absolute relative error different from absolute error?

Absolute error is a measure of the difference between a given value and the actual value, without taking into account the magnitude of the actual value. Absolute relative error, on the other hand, takes into account the magnitude of the actual value by expressing the difference as a percentage of the actual value.

Why is absolute relative error useful in data analysis?

Absolute relative error allows us to compare the accuracy of different data sets or measurements, regardless of their magnitudes. It also gives us a better understanding of the impact of errors in our measurements, as it is expressed as a percentage of the actual value.

How is absolute relative error represented on a graph?

Absolute relative error can be represented on a graph as a percentage difference between the given value and the actual value. This can be shown as a bar graph, line graph, or scatter plot, depending on the type of data being analyzed.

Can absolute relative error be negative?

Yes, absolute relative error can be negative if the given value is lower than the actual value. This means that the given value is underestimating the actual value. However, for the purpose of comparing accuracy, absolute values are usually used, so the error is always positive.