Is |a|<c possible when |a-b|<c-b?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove or find a counterexample to the inequality |a-b| < c-b, given that a, b, and c are all positive. It is shown that |a-b| < c-b can be proven true by letting a = 1, b = 10, and c = 2. It is then suggested to use the fact that |a+b| ≤ |a|+|b| to continue the proof.
Bipolarity

Homework Statement

If a,b,c and are all positive, and if [itex] |a-b| < c-b [/itex], then prove or find a counterexample to [itex] |a|<c [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have been able to show [itex] |a-b|<c [/itex] but don't know what to do next.

THanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:

Homework Statement

If a,b,c and are all positive, prove or find a counterexample to
[itex] |a-b| < c-b [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have been able to show [itex] |a-b|<c [/itex] but don't know what to do next.

THanks!

BiP
You proved that [itex] |a-b|<c \ ?\ \ [/itex] How did you do that?

Let a = 1, b = 10 and c = 2 .

SammyS said:
You proved that [itex] |a-b|<c \ ?\ \ [/itex] How did you do that?

Let a = 1, b = 10 and c = 2 .

Hey Sammy, I think I edited the problem before your post, I don't know how this happened. Please read my edited post again thanks.

BiP

Bipolarity said:
Hey Sammy, I think I edited the problem before your post, I don't know how this happened. Please read my edited post again thanks.

BiP
I think you are a bit confused. For example, why do you have [itex]|a|[/itex] when you know that [itex]a[/itex] is positive anyway?

Use

[tex]a=(a-b)+b[/tex]

micromass said:
Use

[tex]a=(a-b)+b[/tex]

I see! Do you want me to then use the fact that [itex] |a+b| ≤ |a|+|b| [/itex] Thanks micro!

BiP

Bipolarity said:
I see! Do you want me to then use the fact that [itex] |a+b| ≤ |a|+|b| [/itex] Thanks micro!

BiP

Don't ask, try! :biggrin:

1. What is absolute value proof?

Absolute value proof is a type of mathematical proof that is used to prove the absolute value of a number or expression. It involves showing that the absolute value of a number is always positive, regardless of the sign of the number.

2. How is absolute value proof used in real life?

Absolute value proof is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. It is also used in everyday life, such as calculating distances and determining the magnitude of values in data sets.

3. What are the steps involved in an absolute value proof?

The steps involved in an absolute value proof may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally it involves assuming a value for the absolute value, showing that it is always positive, and then proving that it satisfies the given equation or inequality.

4. How is absolute value proof different from other types of mathematical proofs?

Absolute value proof is different from other types of mathematical proofs because it specifically deals with the absolute value of a number or expression. Other types of proofs may focus on different properties or relationships between numbers and variables.

5. Can absolute value proof be used to solve all types of equations?

No, absolute value proof is specifically used to prove the absolute value of a number or expression. It may be used to solve certain types of equations, but it is not applicable to all types of equations.