Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absorbtion of EM quanta

1. Jan 30, 2015 #1
    I started out with a video of someone "measuring" the speed of light by microwaving a chocolate bar. Not surprisingly, this turned out to be partially bogus.
    http://morningcoffeephysics.com/measuring-the-speed-of-light-with-chocolate-and-a-microwave-oven/

This sparked some more questions. Let's (falsely) assume that our chocolate bar is heated by a standing microwave. I think I am right in that the probability that a photon will be absorbed in any particular location is the square of a sine wave. Is it true that this probability does not vary from moment to moment?

I hope that this is clear.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The probability will oscillate from moment to moment, (on a time scale of (1/2,450,000,000) seconds, or about 0.4 nanoseconds), but the amplitude of the oscillations will stay the same, so hot spots don't change to cold spots, and vise versa.

4. Feb 3, 2015 #3

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think that is correct. The probability should be constant, but will depend on if you are coupling via the electric or magnet dipole.moment. .
    This should be exactly equivalent to a cavity/circuit-QED experiments where the ion/qubits are placed in node/antinodes of the resonator (depending on the type of coupling you want) to maximize the coupling.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook