Abstract Algebra - Orbit of a permutation

In summary, the problem asks for all orbits of a given permutation, where the orbit is the set of elements that are equivalent to the given permutation as determined by the given equivalence relation.
vwishndaetr
For this problem, I have to find all orbits of given permutation.

[tex] \sigma: \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

Where,

[tex]\sigma(n)=n-3 [/tex]

Now, the problem is I do not know how to approach this permutation in the given format.

All the permutations I dealt with were in the form:

[tex]

\mu = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1\ 2\ 3\ 4\ 5\ 6\\
1\ 2\ 3\ 4\ 5\ 6
\end{array}
\right)

[/tex]

Which I understand. But I do not understand the sigma permutation first mentioned. I tried another example where I had an answer to σ(n)=n+2, but I did not understand how that answer was achieved.

If someone can guide me with a start that'd be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
The sigma format makes it much harder to see what's going on with the permutation.

All it really is though is sending the nth element to the n - 3 element. So 4 goes to 1, 3 goes to 6, 2 goes to 5...

[tex]
\mu = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1\ 2\ 3\ 4\ 5\ 6\\
4\ 5\ 6\ 1\ 2\ 3
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

No that's not quite correct. Sigma is a map from the integers to the integers, so you can't express it like that. The map is what it says it is

[tex]\sigma(3) = 3-3=0
[/tex]
[tex] \sigma(5) = 5-3= 2[/tex] and so forth. Basically sigma is just shifting the integers three places over

Sorry i thought it was an element of the symmetric group of degree 6.

miqbal said:
The sigma format makes it much harder to see what's going on with the permutation.

All it really is though is sending the nth element to the n - 3 element. So 4 goes to 1, 3 goes to 6, 2 goes to 5...[tex]
\mu = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1\ 2\ 3\ 4\ 5\ 6\\
4\ 5\ 6\ 1\ 2\ 3
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

I tried thinking of it that way. I originally thought n=1 -> -2, n=2 -> -1, n=3 -> 0, n=4 -> 1, then 1 -> -2. So that would be an orbit. So looking at the structure so to say, looked like each orbit consisted of 4 elements. But then the -2, -1, 0 kinda disappeared? I was not comfortable with it. Let's just say that.

Office_Shredder said:
No that's not quite correct. Sigma is a map from the integers to the integers, so you can't express it like that. The map is what it says it is

[tex]\sigma(3) = 3-3=0
[/tex]
[tex] \sigma(5) = 5-3= 2[/tex] and so forth. Basically sigma is just shifting the integers three places over

Ok, but what about [tex]\sigma(1) = 1-3=-2
[/tex]

1 is an integer, -2 is an integer, why doesn't that work?

[tex] \sigma(1)=-2[/tex] is true.

What is the definition of an orbit here? It helps to find out what the question is actually asking in this context

Office_Shredder said:
[tex] \sigma(1)=-2[/tex] is true.

What is the definition of an orbit here? It helps to find out what the question is actually asking in this context

Taken from First course in Abstract Algebra:

Let [tex]\sigma[/tex] be a permutation of a set A. The equivalence classes in A determined by the equivalence relation (1) are the orbits of [tex]\sigma[/tex].

Definition is a bit high on vocabulary, but I think I understand it.

For example, in the following:

[tex]

\sigma = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 \ 2 \ 3 \ 4 \ 5 \ 6 \ 7 \ 8\\
4 \ 3 \ 2 \ 8 \ 5 \ 1 \ 7 \ 6
\end{array}
\right)

[/tex]

The orbits are:

[tex]

\{1, 4, 8, 6\} \ \ \{2, 3\} \ \ \{5\} \ \ \{7\}[/tex]

But I am a bit confused how to determine an orbit with the form given in original post.

So look at the orbit of 1. Let's see what some elements in it are

[tex] \sigma(1)=-2, \sigma(-2)=-5, \sigma(-5)=-8,[/tex]

and in the other direction

[tex] \sigma(4)=1, \sigma(7)=4[/tex]

noticing a pattern?

Office_Shredder said:
So look at the orbit of 1. Let's see what some elements in it are

[tex] \sigma(1)=-2, \sigma(-2)=-5, \sigma(-5)=-8,[/tex]

and in the other direction

[tex] \sigma(4)=1, \sigma(7)=4[/tex]

noticing a pattern?

Omg. It totally clicked. I am so contributing to this forum. Member by tomorrow night that's for sure. The ultimate source for tutoring. Best thing is, never yet have I gotten just an answer. Always an explanation to help me solve it myself. A lot of nice people with patience on here. Thank you very much! I am so excited, high hopes for the next test! :)

Orbits will be:

[tex]
\{3n\ |\ n \ \epsilon \ \mathbb{Z}\} \ \ \{3n-1\ |\ n \ \epsilon \ \mathbb{Z}\} \ \ \{3n-2\ |\ n \ \epsilon \ \mathbb{Z}\}
[/tex]

1. What is an orbit of a permutation in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, the orbit of a permutation refers to the set of all elements that can be obtained by applying the permutation to a given element. It is a fundamental concept used in group theory to study the behavior of permutations.

2. How is the orbit of a permutation calculated?

To calculate the orbit of a permutation, we start with a specific element and apply the permutation to it repeatedly until we obtain all possible elements. The resulting set of elements is the orbit of the permutation.

3. What is the significance of orbits in abstract algebra?

Orbits are important in abstract algebra because they help us understand the structure and properties of groups. They can also be used to classify and identify different types of groups. Additionally, orbits have applications in areas such as cryptography and coding theory.

4. Can the orbit of a permutation contain all elements in a group?

Yes, the orbit of a permutation can contain all elements in a group. This happens when the permutation is a transposition, which means it swaps two elements while leaving the rest unchanged. In this case, the orbit of the permutation will be the entire group.

5. How are orbits related to stabilizers in abstract algebra?

Orbits and stabilizers are two important concepts in group theory that are closely related. The stabilizer of an element in a group is the set of permutations that leave that element unchanged. The orbit-stabilizer theorem states that the size of an orbit is equal to the index of the stabilizer in the group. In other words, the number of elements in the orbit of a permutation is equal to the number of distinct permutations that stabilize a given element.