1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra

1. Jul 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let R be any ring and f:Z→R a homomorphism.

a)Show that f is completely determined by the single value f(1)
    b)Determine all possible homomorphisms f in the case when R = Z.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This question has me totally confused. I have gone through all the properties of homororphisms in the book but i am still confused.How is the homomorphism completely determined by one value anyway?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2010 #2
    The definition of homomorphism says that
    [tex]f(n)=n f(1)[/tex]
    and so knowledge of f(1) is enough to compute f for any integer.

4. Jul 31, 2010 #3
    To summarize the above: f(1) determines f for every integer because the integers are generated by 1. Have you made any progress on part b?

5. Jul 31, 2010 #4
    i cant find this property anywhere in my notes. Is this a property of homomorphismsm in general or only in the cas on the integers?

6. Jul 31, 2010 #5
    Apply the defining property of a homomorphism with the domain being the group of integers. Does that make sense?

7. Jul 31, 2010 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If figuring out the entire homomorphism from the value of f(1) is too hard, then try something simpler. What is f(0)? f(2)?

8. Aug 1, 2010 #7
    but for a homomorphism we have:

f(n)=f(1*n)=f(1)*f(n)
    thus f(1) =1
    so how is it completeley determined by f(1), which is always one anyway, i thought it would therefore be totally determined by the domain, depending on whether in is integers or rational numbers etc

9. Aug 1, 2010 #8
    A ring has + as well as *, and the homomorphism must respect both. Use the fact that + is preserved as well to extract more information - such as f(2)

10. Aug 1, 2010 #9
    ok thanks, using the additive property i see now that we get f(n)=nf(1) and it is determuned by this value. Is it sufficient for part b to use the multiplicative property, and the fact that the identity in z is 1 and thus f(1) maps to 1 to show that the only homomorphism is the identity map.Or is there something more in depth i could do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook