1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra

1. Jun 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ring homomorphism.png

Hello guys
    So I have the following problem, given the mapping above I have to check weather it's ring homomorphism, and
    maybe monomorphism or epimorphism.

3. The attempt at a solution

So the mapping is obviously well defined, and I have proven it's homomorphism, and it's obviously not monomorphism because a polynomial P(x)= 5 - x2 is in the kernel so kernel is not trivial.
    I am not sure how to prove if the function is surjective or not, obviously if the codomain were integers for every integers C , I could just use constant function p(x) = C and function would be surjective.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2
    It is just an intuition, but I doubt there are polynomials of ##\mathbb{Z}[X]## such that ##p(\sqrt{5}) \in \mathbb{Q}-\mathbb{Z} ##.

4. Jun 22, 2015 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Showing the map is a homomorphism shouldn't be too difficult. Simply show the map satisfies the properties of a homomorphism.

The rest of the question is asking if the map is also a bijection, or something more specific. Try applying the first isomorphism theorem if you know it, and use the fact that ##x^2 - 5## is the minimal polynomial.

5. Jun 22, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't it pretty obvious that the range is contained in the set ##a+b \sqrt{5}## where ##a## and ##b## are integers? Why isn't that all of ##R##?

6. Jun 23, 2015 #5
    I managed to show that function is not surjective with the hint that every element in the range is of the form ## a+b \sqrt{5} ## because for example ##\sqrt{2}## doesn't get hit by any element in domain. Is it also valid argument that function can't be surjective because ##\mathbb{R}## is uncountable whilst ##\mathbb{Z}[X]## is countable?

7. Jun 23, 2015 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Both of those arguments are good. The second makes it obvious if you know cardinality.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted