1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Abstract Linear Algebra: Dual Basis

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Define a non-zero linear functional y on C^2 such that if x1=(1,1,1) and x2=(1,1,-1), then [x1,y]=[x2,y]=0.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Le X = {x1,x2,...,xn} be a basis in C3 whose first m elements are in M (and form a basis in M). Let X' be the dual basis in C3'. Let N be the subspace of V' spanned by ym+1, ..., yn.
    Let's assume that y is any element in N.
    1) y is in V'
    2) y is a linear combination of the basis vectors y1, ..., yn
    => y = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]j=1n njyj
    Since by assumption y is in N we have for every i=1,...,m
    [xi,y] =0

P.S: I am new to the abstract linear algebra world.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Apparently you mean a linear functional on C^3. What is C? Is it the complex numbers? And I think you are taking this 'abstract' thing a little far. You just want a linear functional y such that y((1,1,1))=y((1,1,-1))=0. Try thinking of it as a 'not abstract' problem. You want to write down a concrete linear functional that maps x1 and x2 to zero.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    Ok, so let x=([tex]\xi[/tex]1,[tex]\xi[/tex]2,[tex]\xi[/tex]3) (where [tex]\xi[/tex]1=[tex]\xi[/tex]2) and let y be the functional such that y = [tex]\xi[/tex]1+[tex]\xi[/tex]2+0*[tex]\xi[/tex]3
    So for xi (i from 0 to n) y(xi) would equal 0.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i from 0 to n? There's only x1 and x2. How about if x=(a,b,c) define y(x)=1*a+(-1)*b+0*c? Then y(x1)=0 and y(x2)=0. That's really all you need. Your notation [x1,y] has got to mean y(x1), right?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook