Ensuring Safe Grounding for AC/DC Converter in Pelican Case

In summary: I'm used to seeing that box with the white paint over the metal; there are some really good coatings that will pass a HiPot test I've seen used, so your choice of a metal box should be fine. What are you using for a gasket between the metal top plate and the main plastic part?In summary, the conversation discusses the use of power supplies for DC voltage in a pelican case with PCBs. It is advised to have a qualified electrician or PE/EE help with the project to ensure safety. The open-frame switching power supply needs to be mounted in a grounded enclosure with a fused power switch. The ground in the 3-prong power cord should connect to the metal of the enclosure and also
xortan
Hello everyone,

So some background on what I am doing. We have a pelican case with a bunch of PCBs that require DC voltage. I have purchased these power supplies (http://www.meanwell.com/search/EPS-65/EPS-65-spec.pdf ) to do the AC to DC conversion. They are located inside the Pelican case as well. On the input side of this power supply they only have connections for the Live and Neutral AC line.

The block diagram in the datasheet shows the Live and Neutral being inputted and the Ground connecting somewhere else, I'm assuming to a frame or chassis. This Pelican case has an aluminum top plate that has the lamacoids to control the functions of the various PCBs.

Is it safe to put the AC ground to the aluminum top-plate?

I'm thinking it is not since that is where they will have their hands and if a fault does happen it may give them a shock.

I've done some searching around and I guess some AC/DC converters will tie the Ground to the V- on the output side. If I do this, am I bypassing the transformers function inside the power supply?

Would it be better to tie the AC ground to the plastic Pelican case?

Any insights into this would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
xortan said:
Hello everyone,

So some background on what I am doing. We have a pelican case with a bunch of PCBs that require DC voltage. I have purchased these power supplies (http://www.meanwell.com/search/EPS-65/EPS-65-spec.pdf ) to do the AC to DC conversion. They are located inside the Pelican case as well. On the input side of this power supply they only have connections for the Live and Neutral AC line.

The block diagram in the datasheet shows the Live and Neutral being inputted and the Ground connecting somewhere else, I'm assuming to a frame or chassis. This Pelican case has an aluminum top plate that has the lamacoids to control the functions of the various PCBs.

Is it safe to put the AC ground to the aluminum top-plate?

I'm thinking it is not since that is where they will have their hands and if a fault does happen it may give them a shock.

I've done some searching around and I guess some AC/DC converters will tie the Ground to the V- on the output side. If I do this, am I bypassing the transformers function inside the power supply?

Would it be better to tie the AC ground to the plastic Pelican case?

Any insights into this would be very much appreciated!
The PSU looks like Class 1 equipment, as it has a metal cover and requires a ground connection. If so, it will need a 3 wire AC supply: Live, Neutral and Earth (Ground). All exposed metal work in the equipment should be bonded to mains Earth. The completed equipment will need to be safely constructed from the AC mains point of view, because you have a number of PSUs in parallel which will require mains wiring, switching and fusing. You ask about connecting one side of the DC to earth. The transformer shown on the block diagram indicates a centre tap. If this is earthed, the PSU is giving + and - relative to Earth and you cannot Earth one side. It is probably best to have an electrician look at the AC side of the project just in case; if the unit was going on the market, it would need safety approvals.

Likes xortan and berkeman
xortan said:
I have purchased these power supplies (http://www.meanwell.com/search/EPS-65/EPS-65-spec.pdf ) to do the AC to DC conversion.

That's an open-frame switching power supply. As such, it needs to be mounted in an enclosure that is grounded, and you need to provide a fused power switch power entry module between the external power cord and the power connections to the power supply. The ground in the 3-prong power cord needs to connect to the metal of your enclosure using a bolt-down fixture (not a slip-on connection), and the fuse and switch have to be in the Hot lead.

I agree that it would be best for you to have a qualified electrician or PE/EE help you with this. It's a bit too easy to mess up if you haven't done this before, and the results of a mess-up can be bad.

Also, that supply needs air convection to stay cool. How are you planning on it getting convection while it's in the Pelican case?

Likes xortan
The AC receptacle on the side plate of the Pelican case has a fuse embedded into it on the Live line which goes into the switch so that part I seem to have gotten correct. As it is right now, the ground is bonded to the top-plate. There is a side plate that is also metal, so from these replies, I should also attach the ground wire to the metal side plate. The rest of the case is plastic.

As for the air convection, I'm working with a mechanical engineer (he actually has experience haha) and he did some stuff with vents and a fan, ran a bunch of fancy simulations and all that so should be good.

xortan said:
The AC receptacle on the side plate of the Pelican case has a fuse embedded into it on the Live line which goes into the switch so that part I seem to have gotten correct. As it is right now, the ground is bonded to the top-plate. There is a side plate that is also metal, so from these replies, I should also attach the ground wire to the metal side plate. The rest of the case is plastic.

As for the air convection, I'm working with a mechanical engineer (he actually has experience haha) and he did some stuff with vents and a fan, ran a bunch of fancy simulations and all that so should be good.

That sounds pretty good! :smile:

1. What is an AC/DC Converter?

An AC/DC converter is an electronic device that converts alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). This is commonly used in electronic devices that require DC power, such as computers and smartphones.

2. What is the purpose of grounding in an AC/DC converter?

Grounding in an AC/DC converter is used to provide a safe path for current to flow in case of a malfunction or electrical surge. It also helps to reduce electromagnetic interference and protect the device from voltage spikes.

3. What are the different types of grounding in an AC/DC converter?

There are two types of grounding in an AC/DC converter: chassis grounding and signal grounding. Chassis grounding involves connecting the metal frame of the device to the earth ground to prevent electrical shocks. Signal grounding, on the other hand, is used to reduce noise and interference in the electronic circuits.

4. How important is proper grounding in an AC/DC converter?

Proper grounding is crucial in an AC/DC converter to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the device. Without proper grounding, there is a higher risk of electrical shocks, damage to the device, and interference with other electronic equipment.

5. What are the potential dangers of improper grounding in an AC/DC converter?

If an AC/DC converter is not properly grounded, it can lead to electrical shocks, damage to the device, and interference with other electronic equipment. It can also increase the risk of fires and electrical hazards. Therefore, it is essential to ensure proper grounding in all electronic devices.