Transmitting AC Signal to μC for ADC: Exploring DC Offset Options

• Thread starter phyky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Signal
In summary: V to 3.3V. if your ac signal swings outside of that range, then you need to dc bias it.In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of transmitting an AC signal to a microcontroller (μC) for further analog-to-digital conversion (ADC). It is suggested to use a DC offset equal to half the expected peak-to-peak AC voltage to convert the signal to a mono-polar time varying signal. It is also mentioned that the ADC conversion times on uCs can be slow, so using a separate ADC chip may be a better option. The importance of considering the maximum sample rate and resolution of the ADC is also mentioned. In conclusion, it is recommended to use an external
phyky

Homework Statement

how can i transmit ac signal to μC to further ADC?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

can i use dc offset?

Physics news on Phys.org
phyky said:

Homework Statement

how can i transmit ac signal to μC to further ADC?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

can i use dc offset?

If I understand your question, yes. You can add a DC offset equal to half the expected peak-to-peak AC voltage (Vpp) to effectively convert it to a mono-polar time varying signal that a standard ADC could deal with.

be aware that uC ADC conversion times can be slow, you may want to consider a stand alone IC

what is stand alone IC?

earlofwessex said:
be aware that uC ADC conversion times can be slow, you may want to consider a stand alone IC

phyky said:
what is stand alone IC?

He is referring to the A/D converter functionality. That can either be an integrated part of the microcontroller (uC) chip, or it could be a separate ADC chip. I think he is saying that ADCs on typical uCs have limited performance, so you might consider using an external/separate ADC chip, which you would interface to your uC via the IO lines of the uC (either using I2C or SPI serial protocols, or some parallel interface protocol).

i see. if i use dc offset, is the output voltage ll become varies in ADC?or i need ac to dc converter is better?

thankyou berkeman that is what i meant.

phyky, your application here is quite vague, and the best solution depends on things you haven't told us. any adc, a built in peripheral of a uController or a separate IC will be limited by the maximum samples per second. for example, dsPic33F4013 has a maximum of 200 ksps.

if you want to measure an ac signal of frequency 20kHz, you will only get 10 samples per cycle, which is enough to estimate the frequency and peak amplitude, but not enough to analyse distortion or check for harmonic content.

if on the other hand you want to measure 100kHz, its not enough to do anything but check that the signal is there, and possibly measure frequency within a failry large error margin. you will find it very difficult to measure the peak amplitude, and impossible to distinguish between a square wave and a sine wave without some other knowledge of the signal.

you also have to consider resolution, which may or may not affect you depending on what you wish to measure.

i m doing computer interfacing. the microC connect to my computer.it is a built in microC with 10 bit ADC module.
- Auto-acquisition capability
- Conversion available during Sleep
- Internal 1.024V Fixed Voltage Reference (FVR) channel
- Independent input multiplexing
so i need convert the ac to dc?

its highly likely yes.
look in the microcontrollers datasheet, it will should you the ranges that the adc can convert

1. What is the purpose of transmitting an AC signal to a μC for ADC?

The purpose of transmitting an AC signal to a μC for ADC is to convert the analog signal into a digital signal that can be processed and analyzed by the microcontroller. This allows for more precise measurements and data collection.

2. What is DC offset and why is it important to address when transmitting an AC signal?

DC offset is the difference between the average voltage of an AC signal and the reference voltage of the ADC. It is important to address because it can cause inaccuracies in the digital signal and affect the quality of the data being collected.

3. What are some options for addressing DC offset when transmitting an AC signal to a μC for ADC?

Some options for addressing DC offset include using a coupling capacitor, a high-pass filter, or a differential amplifier. These methods can help remove or minimize the DC offset from the AC signal.

4. How does the choice of DC offset option affect the accuracy of the ADC readings?

The choice of DC offset option can greatly affect the accuracy of the ADC readings. If DC offset is not addressed properly, it can lead to errors in the digital signal and result in inaccurate readings. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider and test different options to find the most accurate solution.

5. Are there any potential risks or limitations when transmitting an AC signal to a μC for ADC?

Yes, there can be potential risks or limitations when transmitting an AC signal to a μC for ADC. These may include noise interference, voltage limitations, or limitations of the chosen DC offset option. It is important to carefully consider these factors and properly test and calibrate the system to ensure accurate and reliable results.