AC Single phase stator wiring help

In summary, on a Wisconsin VG4D gas motor, the black leads go to a rectifier, the red and white leads go to a regulator, the white lead pigtail goes to an ammeter gauge and on to the battery. The stator is wired with 3 separate wires winding around each pole alternating between left and right hand winding. The purpose of the alternator is to charge a battery.
Peter McBride
This stator is out of a Wisconsin VG4D gas motor. Both black leads go to a rectifier. Red and white leads go to a regulator. White lead pigtail goes to ammeter gauge and on to battery.

I need to rewind but for the life of me I can't figure out how to connect the winding to the 4 leads coming off of the stator. I believe this is a single phase stator. This stator is wired with 3 separate wires winding around each pole alternating between left and right hand winding.

Most single phase stators just have 2 A/C leads that go to a 3 pole Rectifier/Regulator 2 poles for A/C power and one pole to Battery.

Attachments

• 20190422_063026_edited.jpg
    20190422_063026_edited.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 896
Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the rotor? Is it permanent magnets?

I would expect the three wires to be a delta connected three phase for rectification. How many diodes or terminals are there on the rectifier?

What is the purpose of this alternator. Does it run lights or only charge a battery?

This is mounted on a John Deere Swather (Farm Equipment) alternator is for charging std 12 volt car battery. I am sure this is single phase since I unwrapped and it was not coiled as delta. Manufacturers notes refer to wiring stator in such a way to safeguard against connecting battery the wrong way. Redundant safety measures like this are common with farm equipment.

Peter McBride said:
I need to rewind but for the life of me I can't figure out how to connect the winding to the 4 leads coming off of the stator. I believe this is a single phase stator. This stator is wired with 3 separate wires winding around each pole alternating between left and right hand winding.
The irrational situation indicates a false assumption or a poor observation. Assume nothing. You need to go back to identify what you have got wrong. We can't guess at the situation when misleading information is present.
There is probably a circuit diagram in a maintenance manual. Without a model number it is difficult to find service information.

I repeat;
Baluncore said:
How many diodes or terminals are there on the rectifier?

Rectifier has 2 leads. (Black Wires) Voltage regulator has 2 leads (Red and White Wires). Wisconsin VG4D 1980 Motor. My objective is to rewind the stator to its original configuration, but since 3 of the 4 leads have broken away from stator I can't tell where they attached to the stator windings. Thanks for you help.

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 592
  • chargingsystem3.jpg
    chargingsystem3.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 701
Start here;
http://www.pittauto.com/customer/piauel/pdf/Wisconsin_FlywheelAlternators.pdf

Index page shows 4 versions of stator are used on the VG4D.
25 amp alternator circuit. ENA120
10 amp alternator circuit. ENA121
Obsolete 10 amp/25 amp alternator circuit
30 amp alternator circuit. ENA132

Page 30, 31 show testing procedure for 12V, and the way the three windings are connected.
There may be a different turns count for the regulator winding but the two AC windings to the rectifiers will be the same.

It appears that there are more turns on the regulator winding, or the REG wire is thinner. I suspect the regulator works by saturating the stator poles using the higher voltage regulator winding. For that reason it is important to document one pole so the order of connections can be correctly made.

You will need to number the poles, and the ends of the wires. Then carefully unwind wire from one pole of the stator, in the opposite way and order to wires being wound. For each of the three wires count the number of turns on the pole. Notice the direction that each wire is wound on that pole, and measure the diameter of each wire. Notice any diameter differences.

Let us know what you get.

Likes dlgoff

1. What is AC single phase stator wiring?

AC single phase stator wiring is a type of electrical wiring used in single phase alternating current (AC) motors. It involves connecting the stator, which is the stationary part of the motor, to the power source in order to generate a rotating magnetic field that drives the motor.

2. How do I wire a single phase stator?

The exact wiring process will depend on the specific motor and its wiring diagram. However, in general, you will need to connect the stator coils in a specific pattern to the power source, usually using a combination of parallel and series connections. It is important to follow the wiring diagram carefully to ensure proper functioning of the motor.

3. What are the common types of single phase stator wiring?

The most common types of single phase stator wiring are split-phase, capacitor-start, and shaded pole. Split-phase wiring is used for smaller motors, capacitor-start wiring is used for larger motors that require higher starting torque, and shaded pole wiring is used for smaller motors that require lower starting torque.

4. What are the benefits of single phase stator wiring?

Single phase stator wiring is commonly used in smaller motors because it is simple and cost-effective. It also allows for easy speed control and direction reversal. Additionally, single phase stator wiring is more efficient than other types of wiring, resulting in less energy consumption and lower operating costs.

5. What are some common issues with single phase stator wiring?

Some common issues with single phase stator wiring include incorrect connections, faulty wiring, and damaged components. These can lead to motor failure, overheating, and other malfunctions. It is important to carefully follow the wiring diagram and regularly inspect and maintain the motor to avoid these issues.