Ac voltage across capacitor

In summary, the problem involves finding the capacitance of a capacitor connected in series with a 1000 ohm resistor and an AC supply of 50Hz with a 30 degree phase difference between the voltage and current in the circuit. The relationship between the resistance and reactance of the circuit is used to set up an equation to solve for the capacitance, but the 30 degree phase difference is not accounted for. Further information or clarification is needed to solve the problem.
delsoo

Homework Statement

a resistor of 1000 ohm is connected in series to a capacitor and ac supply of frquency 50hz, if the phase diffennce of voltage supplied and current of circuirt is 30 degree, what's the capacitance of capacitor? the V max and I max in not given , how to do this ? help please!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
delsoo said:

Homework Statement

a resistor of 1000 ohm is connected in series to a capacitor and ac supply of frquency 50hz, if the phase diffennce of voltage supplied and current of circuirt is 30 degree, what's the capacitance of capacitor? the V max and I max in not given , how to do this ? help please!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You need to make an attempt.

At least indicate what you know regarding such a situation, and what you've tried.

since the reacatance(X c ) =V max/ I max . i let r = 1000 ohm = resistance, Xc also = //2pI (f)(C) , so i got 1000=1/2pi (50) (c) , but i don't know where to sub the 30 degree..

delsoo said:
since the reacatance(X c ) =V max/ I max . i let r = 1000 ohm = resistance, Xc also = //2pI (f)(C) , so i got 1000=1/2pi (50) (c) , but i don't know where to sub the 30 degree..

How is the instantaneous current passing through the resistor related to the instantaneous current coming into and out of the capacitor?

How is the instantaneous voltage across the resistor related to the instantaneous voltage across the capacitor?

The capacitance of the capacitor can be calculated using the equation C = 1/ωR, where ω is the angular frequency (2πf) and R is the resistance of the resistor. In this case, ω = 2π(50Hz) = 100π rad/s. Therefore, the capacitance would be C = 1/(100π)(1000 ohms) = 0.001 F.

However, without knowing the maximum voltage and current, it is not possible to accurately determine the capacitance of the capacitor. The maximum voltage and current are needed to calculate the peak values of voltage and current, which are necessary for calculating the capacitance. I would recommend obtaining the maximum voltage and current values to accurately solve for the capacitance.

1. What is AC voltage across a capacitor?

AC voltage across a capacitor refers to the alternating current voltage that is present on the plates of a capacitor. It is a measure of the difference in potential between the two plates and is measured in volts.

2. How does AC voltage affect a capacitor?

AC voltage affects a capacitor by causing charge to build up on the plates, creating an electric field between them. As the voltage alternates, the charge on the plates also alternates, causing the capacitor to charge and discharge.

3. What is the relationship between AC voltage and capacitance?

The relationship between AC voltage and capacitance is described by the equation Q=CV, where Q is the charge on the capacitor, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage. As the voltage increases, the charge on the capacitor also increases.

4. How does the frequency of AC voltage affect the capacitor?

The frequency of AC voltage affects the capacitor by determining how quickly the voltage alternates and how often the capacitor charges and discharges. Higher frequencies will result in a faster charging and discharging process, while lower frequencies will have a slower effect on the capacitor.

5. What is the phase relationship between AC voltage and the capacitor's current?

The phase relationship between AC voltage and the capacitor's current is 90 degrees. This means that the current leads the voltage by 90 degrees in a capacitor. This is due to the fact that the capacitor's current is directly proportional to the rate of change of the voltage, and as the voltage is changing the fastest, the current is at its peak.