Acceleration due to gravity on planet

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the acceleration due to gravity on Planet X using a mass and a spring, as well as determining the amplitude and phase constant of a horizontal spring oscillation. The conversation also mentions using equations such as F=kx and x = Asin(wt + phi) to solve the problems.
yo_man
On your first trip to Planet X you happen to take along a 150 g mass, a 40-cm-long spring, a meter stick, and a stopwatch. You're curious about the acceleration due to gravity on Planet X, where ordinary tasks seem easier than on earth, but you can't find this information in your Visitor's Guide. One night you suspend the spring from the ceiling in your room and hang the mass from it. You find that the mass stretches the spring by 30.4 cm. You then pull the mass down 10.3 cm and release it. With the stopwatch you find that 9.00 oscillations take 18.1 s.

I tried g on planet X = 0.304m((2pi(9/18.1))^2)/0.103) = 28.8

But, it's not right. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you come to that equation?

I think you need a differential equation mass-spring system and the basic equation: F=kx.

Last edited:
You then pull the mass down 10.3 cm and release it
Period of oscillation does not depend upon how much you pull it down before you release it.

different problem

okay, I have a question about a different problem

A 150 g mass attached to a horizontal spring oscillates at a frequency of 1.60 Hz. At t =0, the mass is at x= 5.40 cm and has v_x =- 17.0 cm/s. Determine: the amplitude and the phase constant.

I have already figured out the period and angular frequency to be 0.625 s and 10.053 rad/s, respectively.

I'm confused about how you find amplitude though? I'm not sure which equations to apply. note that vx is not equal to v max, so that's why I'm confused.

Oscillation of a horizontal spring is given by x = Asin(wt + phi) and velocity of the mass is given by dx/dt = Awcos(wt + phi). Substitue the values and find the amplitude and the phase.

Last edited:

What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the surface of a planet or other celestial body. It is often denoted by the symbol 'g' and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

The acceleration due to gravity on a planet is calculated using the formula g = GM/r², where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance from the center of the planet to the object. This formula is derived from Newton's law of universal gravitation.

Does acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity can vary on different planets due to differences in mass and radius. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s², while on Mars it is approximately 3.7 m/s².

How does acceleration due to gravity affect objects?

The acceleration due to gravity causes objects to fall towards the surface of a planet. This means that objects will accelerate at a constant rate towards the ground until they reach a terminal velocity, which is when the force of air resistance balances out the force of gravity.

Can the acceleration due to gravity be changed?

The acceleration due to gravity cannot be changed, as it is a fundamental characteristic of a planet. However, it can be altered by factors such as altitude, where the force of gravity becomes weaker as you move farther away from the planet's surface.