Acceleration Due to Gravity

In summary: What is the point of having the data if you can't use it? In summary, the experiment involves finding an acceleration given a distance and a time. The initial velocity is zero. The final velocity is unknown.
Ruturaj Vaidya

Homework Statement

[/B]
Lucy is measuring the acceleration due to gravity in Melbourne by dropping a ball through a vertical distance 1.00 m and timing how long it takes.
The ball starts at rest, and Lucy times its fall four times. The results are: 0.47 s, 0.42 s, 0.48 s and 0.41 s. The uncertainty in her distance measurement is 1 cm and theuncertainty in the timer is 0.01 s. What is the uncertainty in the value of g that Lucy calculates?

Select one:
a. at least 0.01 ms−2 and at most 0.03ms−2.
b. more than 0.03 ms−2but at most ms−2.
c. more than 0.1 ms−2 but at most 0.4 ms−2.
d. more than 0.4 ms−2 but at most 0.6 ms−2.
e. more than 0.6ms−2 but at most 2ms−2.http://asoeonline.edu.au/theme/image.php/essential/core/1427682940/i/grade_correct

Homework Equations

I am not sure about the equations to use, but I think that these ones might help:
GPE = mgh
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Average of time values = 0.45s
Uncertainty = 0.45s +/- 0.04 s

Distance uncertainty = 1m +/- 0.01mThis is as far as I go. How do I calculate the g values from here on?

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The experiment involves finding an acceleration given a distance and a time. The initial velocity is zero. The final velocity is unknown.

Are you familiar with the SUVAT equations or similar? One of the standard equations is more useful than the others.

s = ut + (0.5*a)*(t^2)
0.99 = 1/2 * a * (0.41)^2
a = 11.78 m/s^2,

Which is way "off" the multiple choice answers

It looks to me like they want you to calculate the propagation of error, not necessarily the acceleration itself. There are some examples http://www.rit.edu/cos/uphysics/uncertainties/Uncertaintiespart2.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruturaj Vaidya said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Lucy is measuring the acceleration due to gravity in Melbourne by dropping a ball through a vertical distance 1.00 m and timing how long it takes.
The ball starts at rest, and Lucy times its fall four times. The results are: 0.47 s, 0.42 s, 0.48 s and 0.41 s. The uncertainty in her distance measurement is 1 cm and theuncertainty in the timer is 0.01 s. What is the uncertainty in the value of g that Lucy calculates?

Select one:
a. at least 0.01 ms−2 and at most 0.03ms−2.
b. more than 0.03 ms−2but at most ms−2.
c. more than 0.1 ms−2 but at most 0.4 ms−2.
d. more than 0.4 ms−2 but at most 0.6 ms−2.
e. more than 0.6ms−2 but at most 2ms−2.http://asoeonline.edu.au/theme/image.php/essential/core/1427682940/i/grade_correct

Homework Equations

I am not sure about the equations to use, but I think that these ones might help:
GPE = mgh
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Average of time values = 0.45s
Uncertainty = 0.45s +/- 0.04 s

Distance uncertainty = 1m +/- 0.01mThis is as far as I go. How do I calculate the g values from here on?

Thanks in advance :)

I might be tempted to give this question a miss. The variations in timings are much greater than could be caused by the uncertainties given. I wouldn't like to guess exactly what the question setter intended!

You may be expected to ignore the actual results, but that seems absurd to me.

1. What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity, denoted as g, is the acceleration experienced by an object due to the gravitational force exerted by the Earth. It is a constant value, approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) near the Earth's surface.

2. How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

The formula for calculating acceleration due to gravity is g = G * M / r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the Earth. However, for most practical purposes, g can be approximated as 9.8 m/s^2.

3. Does acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, the value of acceleration due to gravity varies on different planets depending on their mass and size. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon is approximately 1.6 m/s^2, while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 m/s^2.

4. How does altitude affect acceleration due to gravity?

As altitude increases, the distance between the object and the center of the Earth increases, leading to a decrease in acceleration due to gravity. This is because the gravitational force between two objects decreases as the distance between them increases.

5. Can acceleration due to gravity be negative?

Although acceleration due to gravity is commonly seen as a positive value, it can also be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of the gravitational force, such as when a ball is thrown upwards and begins to fall back towards the ground.