1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration/gryo ratings for spinning wheel

Tags:
  1. Mar 17, 2015 #1
    I will need to put an accelerometer and or gyroscope on a spinning wheel. The wheel has a diameter of 800mm, with the device being 10-20cm from the centre of rotation. It will be need to cope with ground speed of up to 100km/h.

I am confused as to what ratings the device/s will need in terms of maximum gs for the accelerometer and dps for the gyroscope.

My current calculation of RPM comes out as around 650, which means I think the gryo would need to be rated at 650/60 * 360 degreees per second. Does that sound right? I'm more confused about the acceleration rating. Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2015 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Acceleration in radial direction is given by the centripetal/centrifugal force - if you measure this you measure the velocity of the wheel, not its acceleration.
    Acceleration in "angular direction" (along a circle) depends on the angular accelerations involved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook