1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration in a Weight Machine

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An Atwood's machine consists of two masses, m1 and m2, connected by a string that passes over a pulley.
    If the pulley is a disk of radius R and mass M, find the acceleration of the masses.
    Express your answers in terms of variables m1,m2, M, R, and appropriate constants

2. Relevant equations

T-mg=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

a=-g/(1+I/(m1+m2)R^2
    this is an equation i found but i am not sure what to do with I
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi eagles12! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    you mean you found it on a website? :rolleyes:

(it doesn't look right, but anyway …)

you need to call the tension T, and do F = ma twice (once for each mass), and τ = Iα for the pulley, and then eliminate T …

what do you get? :smile:

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not a good idea to find an equation without doing some work to arrive at the solution. Please make an attempt. The I for the pulley is the least of your problems.:frown:

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4
    The correct answer can be found here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwood_machine

but I agree with the others you need to find a way to it, that's the point. My guess is that looking at the energy balance is a shorter way in this problem.

6. Apr 13, 2012 #5
    Well i found that equation from a similar problem in my textbook and then altered it for my problem

7. Apr 14, 2012 #6
    I am still having trouble figuring out how to use the M (mass of the pulley) because i need it in my equation.
    i tried a=g m1-m2/m1+m2

8. Apr 15, 2012 #7
    I guess you are missing the pulley rotation equation: I [itex]\dot{\omega}[/itex] =(T2-T1)R
    where I is the pulley torque and equals MR^2, (omega)'=a/R. T1 and T2 are the tension forces on both sides. acceleration of m1 and m2 is a.
    Now you should have three equations: the second Law for m1, the second law for m2 and the rotation equation for the pulley.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook