Acceleration of mass on a spring

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration of a 2.0 kg mass placed on a vertical spring that is compressed from its new equilibrium position by a distance of 0.05 m. The relevant equation F=-kx is mentioned, but no spring constant is given. The person asking for help is unsure of where to start and the responder suggests considering k=mg/x and using F=ma to find the acceleration.
futurept

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg mass is placed on top of a vertical spring, which compresses to a new equilibrium position; the spring is then compressed from this new equilibrium position by a distance of 0.05 m. What will be the acceleration of the mass just after the spring is released from this position?

I don't really know where to start. The only equation I can find that is relevant is F= -kx. But no spring constant is given. Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
All I'm really asking for here is the starting point. I think I can do it from there, I just don't know where to get started from.

It doesn't matter if they don't give you a numerical value for k. It means your answer will depends of k.

So what do I do then. Consider that k=mg/x? then from there I can find the force. Then set that value to F=ma?

Related to Acceleration of mass on a spring

1. What is the equation for calculating the acceleration of mass on a spring?

The equation for calculating the acceleration of mass on a spring is a = -k/m x, where a is acceleration, k is the spring constant, m is the mass, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

2. How does the mass affect the acceleration of a spring?

The mass affects the acceleration of a spring by increasing the inertia and making it harder for the spring to compress or stretch. The heavier the mass, the slower the acceleration will be.

3. What is the relationship between spring constant and acceleration?

The spring constant and acceleration have an inverse relationship. This means that as the spring constant increases, the acceleration decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does the amplitude of a spring affect its acceleration?

The amplitude of a spring, or the maximum displacement from equilibrium, has no effect on the acceleration. The acceleration solely depends on the spring constant and the mass attached to the spring.

5. What are the units of measurement for acceleration of mass on a spring?

The units of measurement for acceleration of mass on a spring are m/s2, which stands for meters per second squared. This unit is commonly used to measure acceleration in physics.