Acceleration Of Tennis Racket (Linear And Rotational Quantites)

In summary, during a serve in tennis, a 1.6 kg racket is given an angular acceleration of 157 rad/sec2 and an angular speed of 13 rad/sec at the top of the serve. The distance between the top of the racket and the shoulder is 1.4 m. To find the total acceleration of the top of the racket, the formula a^2 + b^2 = c^2 can be used, where a is the translational acceleration and b is the centripetal acceleration. By calculating the centripetal acceleration using the formula acp = rw^2, with r being the radius of the racket and w being the angular speed, a value of 118.3 m/s^2
Pat2666
PROBLEM

During a serve, a tennis racket of mass 1.6 kg is given an angular acceleration of 157 rad/sec2. At the top of the serve, the racket has an angular speed of 13 rad/sec.
If the distance between the top of the racket and the shoulder is 1.4 m, what is the total acceleration of the top of the racket?

atotal = ? m/sec2

Okay so I'm having some trouble here. I know that atotal is the combination of atranslational and acentripetal, well rather the addition of the squares of each equal to the square of atotal, but I'm not sure how to solve for atranslational.

I know that acp = rw^2 and I solved using the values given to get 118.3m/s^2.

However, when it comes to solving at = ra I don't know how to get the angular acceleration. I'm pretty sure the initial angular acceleration isn't what you use, as I got the wrong answer, but how else do I determine it at the top?

Any help would be appriciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Pat2666 said:
I know that acp = rw^2 and I solved using the values given to get 118.3m/s^2.
How did you get this result?
However, when it comes to solving at = ra I don't know how to get the angular acceleration. I'm pretty sure the initial angular acceleration isn't what you use, as I got the wrong answer, but how else do I determine it at the top?
Lacking information to the contrary, I would assume that the angular acceleration is constant.

Doc Al said:
How did you get this result?

Lacking information to the contrary, I would assume that the angular acceleration is constant.

I got it by first finding the radius of the racket (1.4m / 2 = 0.7m) and then multiplying that by the square of the 13 rad/s angular speed at the top of the racket.

0.7m * 13 rad/s = 118.3 rad/s

Well if that were true, referring to the constant angular acceleration, then would I still be on the right track following the idea of a^2 + b^2 = c^2?

Pat2666 said:
I got it by first finding the radius of the racket (1.4m / 2 = 0.7m) and then multiplying that by the square of the 13 rad/s angular speed at the top of the racket.

0.7m * 13 rad/s = 118.3 rad/s
1.4m is the distance between shoulder and the tip of the racket. Assume that the shoulder is the axis about which the arm and racket swings. (No need to divide by 2.)
Well if that were true, referring to the constant angular acceleration, then would I still be on the right track following the idea of a^2 + b^2 = c^2?
Sure.

Doc Al said:
1.4m is the distance between shoulder and the tip of the racket. Assume that the shoulder is the axis about which the arm and racket swings. (No need to divide by 2.)

Sure.

Oh I see! So the entire racket creates the circle, not just the top part!

Thanks! I just plugged it in instead of 0.7 m and it came out correctly. Thanks so much :)

What is acceleration in terms of a tennis racket?

Acceleration in terms of a tennis racket refers to the change in velocity of the racket over time. It can be measured as both a linear and rotational quantity, depending on the direction of the change in velocity.

How is linear acceleration of a tennis racket measured?

The linear acceleration of a tennis racket is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²). This is calculated by dividing the change in velocity (in meters per second) by the time interval (in seconds) over which the change occurred.

What factors affect the rotational acceleration of a tennis racket?

The rotational acceleration of a tennis racket is affected by factors such as the mass distribution of the racket, the force applied during a swing, and the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion).

How does acceleration impact a tennis player's performance?

Acceleration can greatly impact a tennis player's performance. A higher linear acceleration of the racket can result in a faster serve or more powerful shots. A higher rotational acceleration can also lead to faster spins and more control over the ball's trajectory.

Can acceleration be improved through training?

Yes, acceleration can be improved through training. By focusing on strength and technique, a player can increase their ability to generate both linear and rotational acceleration with their racket, resulting in improved performance on the court.