OUNT OF TIME IN SECONDSHow far will the accelerating car overtake the truck?

• Thread starter Gary King
  • Start date
I got 40.5 metersIn summary, The question is asking for the distance the car will travel before it overtakes the truck. To solve this, we set the distance traveled by the car equal to the distance traveled by the truck and solve for the time. We can use the equations d_{car} = \frac{1}{2}at^2 and d_{truck} = vt to represent the distances traveled by the two vehicles. After solving for the time, we can plug it back into the equation for d_{car} to get the distance traveled, which is 40.5 meters.
Gary King
Could someone help me to solve this question?

----------------------

Question:
At the instant when the traffic light turns green, an automobile starts with a constant acceleration of [tex]2.00 m/s^2[/tex]. At the same instant, a truck traveling with a constant speed of 9.00 m/s overtakes and passes the automobile. How far beyond the starting point will the automobile overtake the truck?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gary King said:
Could someone help me to solve this question?

----------------------

Question:
At the instant when the traffic light turns green, an automobile starts with a constant acceleration of 2.00 m/s^2. At the same instant, a truck traveling with a constant speed of 9.00 m/s overtakes and passes the automobile. How far beyond the starting point will the automobile overtake the truck?
The condition for the car passing the truck is:

[tex]d_{car} \ge d_{truck}[/tex]

(1)The distance moved by the car as a function of time is: ________
(2)The distance moved by the truck as a function of time is: _______

Set (1) = (2) and you have the expression for the time at which the truck and car have traveled equal distances. Solve for the time.

AM

Sorry to bother you again, but what equations should I use for the car and the truck? I'm having 'one of those days' again, and at the same time I'm having a complete brain fart :)

Plot the velocity as a function of time for the truck and for the car. What gives you the distance covered by the truck and car? (what is velocity in terms of distance and time?).

AM

okay thanks; [tex]40.5 m[/tex] is what I got.

Gary King said:
okay thanks; [tex]40.5 m[/tex] is what I got.
How did you get that? (hint: The area under the graph for the accelerating car is a triangle).

AM

I did:

car

[tex]2 = \frac {d} {t^2}[/tex]

[tex]t = \sqrt{d/2}[/tex]

truck

[tex]d/9 = \sqrt{d/2}[/tex]

[tex]2d^2 - 81d + 0 = 0[/tex]

Then I just used

[tex]x = \frac {-b +- \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}} {2a}[/tex]

To solve for x. I got [tex]x = 0[/tex] and [tex]x=40.5[/tex]. The second one makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary King said:
I did:

car

[tex]2 = \frac {d} {t^2}[/tex]

[tex]t = \sqrt{d/2}[/tex]
This is not correct. The area under the v-t graph represents the distance traveled by the accelerating car. It is a triangle with base t and height v, so the distance (area) is [itex]\frac{1}{2}vt = \frac{1}{2}(at)t[/itex]

So [itex]d_{car} = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]

AM

1. What is the difference between acceleration and speed?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity, while speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving. Acceleration involves both a change in speed and a change in direction, while speed only measures the rate at which an object moves in a particular direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What units are used to measure acceleration?

The most common unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²). Other units include kilometers per hour squared (km/h²), feet per second squared (ft/s²), and miles per hour squared (mi/h²).

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can affect an object's motion in several ways. If an object is accelerating in the same direction as its motion, it will speed up. If an object is accelerating in the opposite direction of its motion, it will slow down. If an object is accelerating perpendicularly to its motion, it will change direction.

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the total change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. This means that average acceleration gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous acceleration shows the acceleration at a specific point in time.