Accelerations Due To Gravity

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: This is because the formula F = ma shows that the acceleration is inversely proportional to the mass. So even though the force on the Earth increased by a factor of 100, the mass remained the same, resulting in a very small acceleration. The Earth's gravitational acceleration does not change because its mass is constant. This is due to Newton's third law, which states that the force exerted on an object is equal and opposite to the force exerted by that object. Therefore, the Earth's gravitational acceleration remains constant regardless of the mass of the object.
Bashyboy
The question I am looking at is: "When an object falls freely under the influence of gravity there is a net force mg exerted on it by the earth. Yet by Newton's third law the object exerts an equal opposite force on the earth. Why doesn't the Earth move?"

My actual problem isn't with the question, but with the solution, which I read after I solved it. To solve the problem, the gave a simple calculation to find the answer. The imagined a 1 kg object, and they approximated Earth's mass to be of the order of 10^25 kg.
They stated that [itex]F_{_{Earth}} = F_{_{Object}}\rightarrow(10^{25} kg)a = 1 kg\cdot9.8m/s^2[/itex] And solving for a would give [itex]9.8\cdot10^{-25} m/s^2[/itex]

So, the gravitational acceleration the object provides would be that minute number. But say the object had a mass of 100 kg. Re-doing the calculations would yield [itex]9.8\cdot10^{-23}m/s^2[/itex] Why does this gravitational acceleration change? Shouldn't Earth's gravitational acceleration change then? I now my thinking is erroneous somehow, but I can't seem to figure out why. Does it maybe have to do with Earth's mass be constant? I'm not entirely sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
They stated that [itex]F_{_{Earth}} = F_{_{Object}}\rightarrow(10^{25} kg)a = 1 kg\cdot9.8m/s^2[/itex] And solving for a would give [itex]9.8\cdot10^{-25} m/s^2[/itex]
OK, that's the acceleration of the Earth due to the object's mass.
So, the gravitational acceleration the object provides would be that minute number. But say the object had a mass of 100 kg. Re-doing the calculations would yield [itex]9.8\cdot10^{-23}m/s^2[/itex] Why does this gravitational acceleration change?
The force on it (the Earth) increased by a factor of 100, yet its mass remained the same.
Shouldn't Earth's gravitational acceleration change then?
I assume you mean: Shouldn't the acceleration of the object change? No, since both force and mass increased by the same factor.

There is a lot easier way to do the problem without equations, but just with common knowledge.

Newton's third law states that every object exerts an equal and opposite force on another.

The force that the ball exerts on the Earth is the same as the force that the Earth exerts on the ball, so why does the Earth not move?

The reason involves one simple formula: F = ma. This formula can be manipulated to read a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force, and m is the mass.

The ball's acceleration is (force) / (small mass) = HIGH ACCELERATION
The Earth's acceleration is (force) / (huge mass [5.9742 × 10^24 kg]) = SMALL ACCELERATION

Thus, the Earth DOES move up to meet the ball, but at such a small distance that we cannot see it.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Manan

Bashyboy said:
The question I am looking at is: "When an object falls freely under the influence of gravity there is a net force mg exerted on it by the earth. Yet by Newton's third law the object exerts an equal opposite force on the earth. Why doesn't the Earth move?"

My actual problem isn't with the question, but with the solution, which I read after I solved it. To solve the problem, the gave a simple calculation to find the answer. The imagined a 1 kg object, and they approximated Earth's mass to be of the order of 10^25 kg.

So, the gravitational acceleration the object provides would be that minute number. But say the object had a mass of 100 kg. Re-doing the calculations would yield [itex]9.8\cdot10^{-23}m/s^2[/itex] Why does this gravitational acceleration change? Shouldn't Earth's gravitational acceleration change then? I now my thinking is erroneous somehow, but I can't seem to figure out why. Does it maybe have to do with Earth's mass be constant? I'm not entirely sure.
The Earth does accelerate towards the object, but with an extremely small acceleration.

Your thinking is correct, there is a key factor that you are missing in your calculations. While it is true that the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses, there is another factor that comes into play - the distance between the two objects.

The gravitational acceleration that an object experiences is not solely determined by its own mass, but also by the mass of the object it is falling towards and the distance between them. This is described by the equation F = G(m1*m2)/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

In the case of an object falling towards Earth, the distance between the object and the Earth's center is relatively constant, so the gravitational acceleration remains relatively constant as well. This is why, regardless of the mass of the falling object, the gravitational acceleration towards Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s^2.

On the other hand, if we were to consider the gravitational force between the falling object and the Earth, we would see that it does indeed change with the mass of the falling object. This is because the force is directly proportional to the masses of the two objects.

In summary, the gravitational acceleration experienced by a falling object is determined by the mass and distance between the object and the Earth, while the force between the two objects is determined by the masses of both objects. This is why the gravitational acceleration towards Earth remains constant, even as the mass of the falling object changes.

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration due to gravity?

The formula for calculating acceleration due to gravity is a = g = GM/r^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

2. How is acceleration due to gravity related to an object's mass and distance from the source of gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is directly proportional to the mass of an object and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the object and the source of gravity. This means that the larger the mass of an object, the greater its acceleration due to gravity will be. Similarly, the farther an object is from the source of gravity, the weaker the acceleration due to gravity will be.

3. Is acceleration due to gravity constant on Earth?

No, acceleration due to gravity is not constant on Earth. It varies slightly depending on an object's location on Earth and the altitude. At sea level, the average acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, but at higher altitudes, it may be slightly lower due to the distance from Earth's center.

4. What factors affect the acceleration due to gravity on other planets?

The acceleration due to gravity on other planets is affected by the mass and radius of the planet. The larger the mass and radius of the planet, the greater the acceleration due to gravity will be. The distance from the planet's center also plays a role, as the acceleration due to gravity decreases as the distance from the center increases.

5. How is acceleration due to gravity measured?

Acceleration due to gravity can be measured using a simple pendulum or by dropping objects from a certain height and measuring their fall time. It can also be calculated using the formula a = g = GM/r^2, where M is the mass of the planet and r is the distance from the planet's center.