How can I determine linear motion in 3D using a 3-axis accelerometer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of determining linear motion in 3D using a 3-axis accelerometer. While it is possible to determine orientation relative to the world, it is not as straightforward to determine linear motion. Various methods are suggested, such as using spherical coordinates or performing a rotation on the acceleration vector, but it ultimately depends on the specific setup and calibration of the accelerometer.
mark2468
Hi.

I have a problem using 3-axis accelerometer. I understand that the total acceleration is the square root of (x^2 + y^2 + z^2) but I cannot determine the direction of the acceleration.

Say the device is at 45 degrees and is moved straight up, how can this vertical motion be detected.
I can determine the angle/tilt of the device using trigonometry but cannot determine the linear motion in 3d. How can this be achieved, or is there any basic formula available.

Thanks,

Mark.

Physics news on Phys.org
Accelerometer cannot determine motion at all, and will only measure acceleration relative to its own orientation. It cannot, for example, tell you the difference between being horizontal and accelerating horizontally, or being tilted and accelerating straight up. Both will give you the same acceleration in X, Y, and Z directions.

If you need to know acceleration in the world-coordinates, you need to know orientation relative to world.

You'd probably be best off leaving the linear motion as a vector, but if you want angles, you could just convert to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinates"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply's.

I do know the orientation relative to world, the problem is linear acceleration. Its easy get the acceleration in one direction if the other two don't move but what if it moves up at an angle or starts at an angle and moves straight up or straight across linearly.

"You'd probably be best off leaving the linear motion as a vector"

I am unable to determine the linear motion, how is this achieved??

Thanks again,

Mark.

If you know orientation, what's your problem? Are you simply asking how to transform a vector from one coordinate system to another? That is, take the x, y, z relative to accelerometer and transform to x, y, z relative to ground?

Well if you represent the accelerometer's orientation as a unit vector, you can just perform a rotation on the acceleration vector opposite the rotation of the orientation vector. It winds up being easiest to do as quaternion multiplication

The problem is that I know the angle relative to ground (45 degrees in this case) but when the device is moved directly up I am unable so capture this as linear acceleration in the z direction because all 3 axis change.

This may seem trivial for some people but i am new to this.

Mark.

Lets say the 45° is rotation of Z axis towards X axis. Then:

[tex]a_x = \frac{a'_x+a'_z}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

[tex]a_y = a'_y[/tex]

[tex]a_z = \frac{a'_z-a'_x}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Where a' are the accelerations reported by accelerometer. Make sure to calibrate your axis appropriately, you should be measuring 9.8m/s² in negative z when the thing isn't accelerating.

1. What is an accelerometer and how does it measure direction?

An accelerometer is a sensor used to measure acceleration, which is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It works by measuring the force exerted on a small mass inside the sensor, which is then converted into an electrical signal. This signal can then be used to determine the direction and magnitude of the acceleration.

2. How accurate is the direction measurement of an accelerometer?

The accuracy of an accelerometer's direction measurement depends on several factors such as the quality of the sensor, calibration, and external factors like temperature and vibration. Generally, modern accelerometers have a high accuracy of around 1-5% of the measured value.

3. Can an accelerometer measure direction in all three axes?

Yes, most accelerometers are designed to measure acceleration in all three axes (x, y, and z). This allows for a full 3-dimensional measurement of an object's movement and direction.

4. What are some common applications of accelerometer direction measurement?

Accelerometer direction measurement is commonly used in various fields such as aerospace, automotive, sports, and robotics. Some specific applications include measuring g-forces on a roller coaster, monitoring the movement of a vehicle, and tracking physical activity in fitness trackers.

5. How does an accelerometer differ from a gyroscope in measuring direction?

An accelerometer measures linear acceleration, while a gyroscope measures angular velocity. This means that an accelerometer can determine the direction and magnitude of an object's movement, while a gyroscope can determine the speed and direction of its rotation. Both sensors are often used together for more accurate motion tracking and direction measurement.