Accelertion Due to gravity on a ramp equation

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation found by the speaker at school, .5((90-theta)/90)*G=Ag, which they believed to be incorrect. The correct equation, according to the speaker, is G*sin(theta)=Ag and is derived from the gravitational force parallel to the incline. The speaker also mentions the use of trigonometry to determine the acceleration on an incline and how mass is irrelevant in this calculation. They also mention the use of calculus in determining the relationship between lines and curves, but note that this is not relevant in high school physics. The conversation ends with the speaker stating their intention to further test the equation by using a different object, a cart, instead of a ball.
krsbuilt
I'm new to this forum so please don't mind my being a newbie. I found this equation at school, .5((90-theta)/90)*G=Ag where theta is the angle on the base (not the right angle)

|\
| \ <ramp
|_ \<Theta
^
right angle

and G is the acceleration due and Ag is acceleration in the direction of the ramp. i found this bu knowing if it's a 90 (horizontal/flat) degree angle then there is no acceleration and if it's 0 (vertical) degrees then there's full acceleration. so every degree in between 0 and 90 it adds (1/2)1/90*G to the acceleration to the acceleration in the direction of the ramp.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is incorrect.

While it may seem tempting at times to contrive some relationship between two data points an extrapolate a linear relationship (what you've done), this type of analysis is often incorrect (and difficult to prove).

The correct equation results from the fact that the gravitational force parallel to the incline is given by:
[tex]F_{//}=mgsin(\theta)[/tex]

So acceleration is given by:
[tex]a_{//}=gsin(\theta)[/tex]

you have to break it up into two components. Thats the idea and that's what makes it a triangle and for triangles we have trigonometry. So how much "down" are you going if you are going that much "side"? well Fg=mg but that's only if you drop something directly down to the ground so if its on an angle and its the angle of the slope to the gound then you need to do (mg)sin(theta). So this gives you the force, now you have to find the acceleration and f=ma so f/m=a so just divide your previous answer by m and you are left with a. Hey what do you know? Newton's observations were correct, mass is canceled and irrelevant because the object accelerates at a certain rate despite it's mass. woohoo! i took a few extra steps to show you how the idea works :P. Oh by the way, a sin function is nonlinear therefore your linear equation i.e. (1/2)1/90*G simply can't be right. i mean i could be missing something but the only time lines and curvy lines are related and interchangeable is in calculus and this is high school physics so unless your prof or someone used calculus to get this relationship i just don't think it makes sense. The rate of change changes depending on theta so you can't treat it as if it doesn't and expect to be right.

i decided to change the equation to theta/90*g=Ag... My physics teacher told me that it was sheer luck that my data came close to the same. i was using a ball down a ramp and apparently the ball rolling can cause changes in the accelaration. so I'm going to change the ball to a cart and see what went wrong so i can figure out that the equation is actually G*sin(theta)=Ag.

Related to Accelertion Due to gravity on a ramp equation

What is the equation for acceleration due to gravity on a ramp?

The equation for acceleration due to gravity on a ramp is a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the ramp.

How is the acceleration due to gravity affected by the angle of the ramp?

The acceleration due to gravity on a ramp is directly proportional to the angle of the ramp. This means that as the angle increases, the acceleration due to gravity also increases.

Does the mass of the object affect the acceleration due to gravity on a ramp?

The mass of the object does not affect the acceleration due to gravity on a ramp. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is solely determined by the angle of the ramp and the acceleration due to gravity constant.

How is the acceleration due to gravity on a ramp related to the acceleration due to gravity on a flat surface?

The acceleration due to gravity on a ramp is a component of the acceleration due to gravity on a flat surface. This means that the acceleration due to gravity on a ramp is a fraction of the acceleration due to gravity on a flat surface, with the angle of the ramp determining the proportion.

What are the units of measurement for acceleration due to gravity on a ramp?

The units of measurement for acceleration due to gravity on a ramp are meters per second squared (m/s^2). This is the same unit used for the acceleration due to gravity on a flat surface.