Access to a compute cluster without a university affiliation?

• Thread starter crashcat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the researcher is looking for a public access compute cluster to run some DFT calculations. They know that, for instance, Brookhaven Lab allows free access to its state of the art micro/nanofab facilities if you write and get your proposal accepted. However, they suspect that there would need to be some money involved and/or a federal research grant. They have found an XSEDE site that might be a viable option, but they are hesitant because of the Pi's slow performance. They also think that it would be cheaper and faster to run the code on a GPU.
crashcat
TL;DR Summary
I want access to a compute cluster same as most universities offer, where you schedule jobs through slurm etc., but I am not at a university this summer or fall.
I am temporarily an orphaned researcher with no university affiliation. Is there any public access compute cluster I can run some DFT on? I know that, for instance, Brookhaven Lab allows free access to its state of the art micro/nanofab facilities if you write and get your proposal accepted. Is there something similar from a university or national lab for computing resources?

Technology news on Phys.org
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
Thanks I'll check them out. I have been running it on my personal computer and got like half the results I need, but I don't have enough RAM for the number of atoms in some of the simulations. The high number of atoms is to deal with it being amorphous material. I was looking and maybe I can run a version that only takes 50 GB, but right now it's like 80 GB.

XSEDE is an uphill battle if you aren't already NSF funded.

The obvious answer is AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, etc. If you don't want to pay for them, recognize that nobody does - that's why there is all the competition/restrictions on university clusters.

I never thought about using AWS. Their pricing is actually reasonable. For a 16-core Xeon, 128 GiB RAM and the discount for letting them run the job whenever there is free capacity, it's 0.62 USD per hour. So I'm estimating $200 a month for a couple of months to run the code I need, or could be much less if their Xeon runs a lot faster than my OC i5 from 2016...

Plus it's scalable for the size of the job I'm running. I'm going to look more into this over the weekend.

Likes Ibix
The Pi's are so slow, I think it would be cheaper and faster to run the CUDA version of Quantum Espresso, which I haven't tried but some guy vouched for it.

crashcat said:
The Pi's are so slow, I think it would be cheaper and faster to run the CUDA version of Quantum Espresso, which I haven't tried but some guy vouched for it.
Yes, you should be running this on a GPU for efficiency, cloud GPU is also a thing e.g. FluidStack.

1. What is a compute cluster?

A compute cluster is a group of interconnected computers that work together to perform complex calculations or processes. It allows for parallel processing, which can significantly increase the speed and efficiency of tasks that require a large amount of computing power.

2. How can I access a compute cluster without a university affiliation?

There are several ways to access a compute cluster without a university affiliation. One option is to purchase access to a commercial cloud computing platform, such as Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform. Another option is to join a research collaboration or open-source project that provides access to a compute cluster. Finally, some institutions offer access to their compute clusters for a fee.

3. What are the benefits of using a compute cluster?

Using a compute cluster allows for faster processing of large datasets or complex calculations, which can save time and resources. It also allows for parallel processing, which can handle multiple tasks simultaneously and increase efficiency. Additionally, compute clusters often have specialized hardware and software that are optimized for specific tasks, making them more powerful than a single computer.

4. Are there any limitations to accessing a compute cluster without a university affiliation?

While there are options for accessing a compute cluster without a university affiliation, there may be limitations or restrictions depending on the specific cluster or platform. For example, some clusters may have restrictions on the types of tasks or data that can be processed, and some may have limited availability for non-affiliated users. It is important to research and understand the limitations before gaining access to a compute cluster.

5. How can I learn how to use a compute cluster?

There are many resources available online for learning how to use a compute cluster. Some cloud computing platforms offer tutorials and guides for using their clusters, and there are also online courses and workshops that teach the basics of compute clusters. Additionally, many research institutions have documentation and training materials available for their specific clusters. It may also be helpful to reach out to experienced users or join online communities for support and advice.