Accounting for moving nucleus in Bohr theory

In summary, the equation E= -\frac{\mu k e^2}{2 m_e a_o} (\frac{1}{n^2}) accounts for the motion of the nucleus in the Bohr theory, and m_e can be replaced by \mu in the equation E=-\frac{k e^2}{2 a_o} (\frac{1}{n^2}) to incorporate the reduced mass.
jg370
jg370 said:

Homework Statement

Wavelength of spectral lines depend to some extent on the nuclear mass. However, the nucleus is not an infinitely heavy stationary mass and both the electrons and the nucleus revolve around their common center of mass. A system of this type is entirely equivalent to a single particle of reduced mass [tex]\mu[/tex] that revolves around the position of the heavier particle at a distance equal to the electron-nucleus separation. Therefore, we need to take the moving nucleus into account in the Bohr theory.

My textbook provides the following equation to account for the above concept:

[tex] E= -\frac{\mu k e^2}{2 m_e a_o} (\frac{1}{n^2})[/tex]

where [tex]\mu[/tex] is the reduced mass.

There is an additional hint given; it is that [tex] m_e[/tex] must be replaced by[tex]\mu[/tex] in the following equation:

[tex] E=-\frac{k e^2}{2 a_o} (\frac{1}{n^2})[/tex]

Howoever, as can be seen, [tex]m_e[/tex] is not included in this equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Thinking that there was an error in my textook, I tried to derive the equation first given above from other equations for E, but was not succesfull. Research on the internet provided information regarding the concept of reduced mass but I was not able to find anything allowing me to derive this equation.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with my problem.

Thank you kindly

jg370

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you have given is the correct one to take into account the motion of the nucleus. The mass m_e appearing in the second equation is the electron mass, and it can be replaced by \mu to take into account the movement of the nucleus. To derive this equation, you need to use the equation that describes the energy of the electron in a hydrogen atom: E=-\frac{k e^2}{2 r}, where k is the Coulomb constant and r is the distance between the electron and the nucleus. The energy can also be written as E=-\frac{\mu k e^2}{2 m_e a_o} (\frac{1}{n^2}), where \mu is the reduced mass and a_o is the Bohr radius. This equation can be derived from the equation above by substituting r= a_o/n^2, where n is the principal quantum number.

1. What is the Bohr model of the atom?

The Bohr model of the atom was proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913. It is a simplified representation of an atom, with a positively charged nucleus at the center, surrounded by electrons in specific energy levels or orbits.

2. How does the Bohr model account for the movement of the nucleus?

In the Bohr model, the nucleus is assumed to be stationary and the electrons orbit around it in specific energy levels. This accounts for the movement of the nucleus as the electrons move in their orbits.

3. Why is it important to account for the movement of the nucleus in the Bohr theory?

The movement of the nucleus is important because it affects the energy levels and stability of the electrons in their orbits. It also helps to explain the spectral lines observed in the emission and absorption spectra of atoms.

4. How does the Bohr theory explain the stability of an atom?

The Bohr theory suggests that electrons occupy specific energy levels or orbits around the nucleus. These orbits have fixed radii and the electrons can only exist in these orbits without losing energy. This explains the stability of an atom as the electrons are not continuously losing energy and falling into the nucleus.

5. What are the limitations of the Bohr model in accounting for the movement of the nucleus?

The Bohr model does not fully account for the movement of the nucleus as it does not consider the wave nature of electrons and their uncertain positions. It also does not accurately explain the behavior of atoms with more than one electron, as they interact with each other and the nucleus in more complex ways.