Acid/Base Question on acidity of salts

In summary, the salt with the smaller atoms is more acidic because it is more soluble in water. The size trend matters because the hydroxides are less soluble in Cd(OH)2 than in Zn(OH)2.
RoboNerd
Hi everyone!

So I have ZnBr2 and CdCl2, and I am asked to choose the most acidic one.

Firstly, I do not understand why both salts are acidic...

If my ZnBr2 undergoes hydrolisis, the reaction is ZnBr2 + 2H2O <------> Zn(OH)2 + 2HBr.
This would mean that this is acidic as the HBr dissociates completely.I was told that there is something about the size tend about the atoms.
However, I do not understand how the size of the Zn or Cd matters in determining the acidity as the atoms will end up with the hydroxides as a base in the reaction...

Please explain to me why one salt is more acidic than the other, and please explain why the size trend matters in this instance.

I know that if I have an H-X acid, then the size of the X atom determines the acidity [the larger it gets, the weaker the bond, the more acidic]. However, my Zn and Cd are not attached in this instance.

Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Look in more detail at the dis-association constants for the bases.

RoboNerd said:
If my ZnBr2 undergoes hydrolisis, the reaction is ZnBr2 + 2H2O <------> Zn(OH)2 + 2HBr.

It is better to write this reaction as a net ionic.

Such predictions are quite tricky, as they work only if you assume "all everything was not unchanged". That's rarely the case.

I wouldn't care about size here, rather about solubility of hydroxides. Which is less soluble (so more easily produced in the hydrolysis) - Zn(OH)2 or Cd(OH)2?

(Actually I just checked their Ksp values and to my surprise they work the other way I thought they will. That only supports what I wrote about these predictions being tricky. They look obvious when you know the answer, but trying to rationalize and extend to predict properties in other cases is a waste of time, much better to check the numbers).

1. What is the definition of acidity?

Acidity refers to the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution. A high concentration of H+ ions makes a solution more acidic, while a lower concentration makes it more basic.

2. What is the pH scale and how is it related to acidity?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Solutions with a pH below 7 are considered acidic, while those with a pH above 7 are basic. The lower the pH, the more acidic the solution is.

3. How do salts affect the acidity of a solution?

Salts are formed when acids and bases react with each other. Depending on the strength of the acid and base, the resulting salt can be acidic, basic, or neutral. For example, a salt formed from a strong acid and a weak base will be acidic, while a salt formed from a weak acid and a strong base will be basic.

4. How can you determine the acidity of a salt?

To determine the acidity of a salt, you can use the cation-anion rule. If the cation of the salt comes from a strong acid and the anion comes from a weak base, the salt will be acidic. If the cation comes from a weak acid and the anion comes from a strong base, the salt will be basic. If both the cation and anion come from strong acids or bases, the salt will be neutral.

5. How does the acidity of salts affect their properties?

The acidity of salts can affect their properties, such as solubility and reactivity. Acidic salts tend to be more soluble in water and can react with other substances more easily. Basic salts, on the other hand, may be less soluble and have less reactivity. The acidity of salts can also affect their taste and texture.