1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acoustic test for the sloshing noise in a tank

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    I am currently doing an acoustic experiment, testing the sloshing noise made by the fluid content in a tank. My software and microphone gives me all the outputs from the sloshing noise but not the loudness calculation. I am needing a figure for every test to key into my statistical software and compare all my different results. How do I calculate the average noise? or even better a certain point in the noise from the time series graph?
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #2
    Integrate the absolute values of the graph using Riemann sums between two time intervals and divide by the difference in time?

I don't know of any software that does things like that however. But you could write a little script or something I dunno.
  4. Apr 8, 2010 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This could be a pretty cool experiment. Measuring absolute SPL values requires (AFAIK) a calibrated microphone, I've used a Brüel & Kjær setup. That's probably overkill for your application- I would work with relative measurements rather than absolute.

Surely you can calculate the average signal from your data- but don't toss away any frequency information: do a Fourier transform on the signal to get a spectrum, I bet that will be interesting, too.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook