Activation energy of Silicon Dioxide thermite reaction?

In summary, the Goldshmidt process between silicon dioxide and aluminum yields a high amount of energy. Activation energy is necessary to sustain the reaction, and additives like sulfur are often used to increase the yield.
wil3
I am not asking how to make this reaction. Please do not lock this thread just because it happens to contain the word "thermite". I am simply asking for information about this process for research involving silica.

The Goldshmidt process between silicon dioxide and aluminum is expressed by the equation:

http://amazingrust.com/Experiments/how_to/Images/Reaction10_a.gif

I have used a table of standard enthalpies of formation to determine the energy yield per mole of the bare reaction. My question is how can I determine the activation energy of this reaction? Please do not direct me to the Arrhenius rate equation unless you have rate information.

I am mainly interested in the difference between the energy produced per mole and the energy required to sustain the reaction per mole. This reaction is often "boosted" by adding sulfur to the mixture to increase the energy yield through side reactions with the aluminum. I am curious as to why this is necessary, and if it would be thermodynamically possible to carry out the reaction without the use of additives like sulfur.

Any additional information regarding the specific reasons why sulfur addition is necessary would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any responses!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I can't think of any other way of getting the data then checking literature and handbooks (that is, visiting library).

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this "Library" you speak of? How do I do one?

You know, large rooms, shelves, books and librarian...

Last edited by a moderator:
wil3 said:
What is this "Library" you speak of? How do I do one?

Borek said:
You know, large rooms, shelves, books and librarian...

There might be some confusion here, based on the two of you being from different countries.

wil3, Borek probably means a library found in and operated by the chemistry department of a university or other scientific research institution. If you were thinking of a public library that caters to the general public, then no that would be the wrong place to look.

Redbelly98 said:
wil3, Borek probably means a library found in and operated by the chemistry department of a university or other scientific research institution...

And while you are there, look for the following article

J. Materials Sci., Vol. 28, No. 14, pps. 3693-3708.

Smile for the cameras...

What is the activation energy of the Silicon Dioxide thermite reaction?

The activation energy of the Silicon Dioxide thermite reaction is the minimum amount of energy required for the reaction to occur. It is a measure of the difficulty of initiating the reaction and is usually expressed in units of energy per mole (kJ/mol).

Why is the activation energy of the Silicon Dioxide thermite reaction important?

The activation energy is important because it determines the rate of the reaction. A higher activation energy means the reaction will occur at a slower rate, while a lower activation energy means the reaction will occur more quickly. Understanding the activation energy can also provide insight into the reaction mechanism and the stability of the products.

How can the activation energy of the Silicon Dioxide thermite reaction be determined?

The activation energy can be determined experimentally by measuring the rate of the reaction at different temperatures and using the Arrhenius equation to calculate the activation energy. It can also be estimated using theoretical calculations and computational modeling.

What factors can affect the activation energy of the Silicon Dioxide thermite reaction?

The activation energy of the Silicon Dioxide thermite reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of catalysts, and the physical properties of the reactants. These factors can alter the energy barrier for the reaction and therefore influence the activation energy.

Is the activation energy of the Silicon Dioxide thermite reaction constant?

No, the activation energy of the Silicon Dioxide thermite reaction is not constant. It can vary depending on the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature and reactant concentrations. It can also vary for different pathways or mechanisms of the reaction. However, the activation energy for a specific reaction at a given set of conditions is constant.